1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp and windows vista softwares request, sorry if i post in the wrong place

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by brian.cieslar, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brian.cieslar

brian.cieslar Thread Starter

i was wondering if there is any software i can go from my pc from windows xp to windows vista, is there any software where u can switch windows, like for example on windows xp and vista u can switch user accounts, but i wanna switch windows, if u know what i mean

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

3. pvc_

pvc_

you can also install multiple operating systems, but you'll have to restart your pc every time you want to switch.

4. brian.cieslar

yeh i know u have 2 restart ur pc, but my bro has a monitor and he has 2 pcs plugged in, 1 new computer windows vista home premium and 1 old pc with windows xp home edition, and he uses only 1 new lg monitor to switch windows, so i was wondering any software so i can swith windows without restarting my pc

5. mt2002

mt2002

I used a device that did just this.. I used it to switch between 5 pc's using one monitor.

Ugh. Cant remember what its called though :( Ill see if I can find what I am looking for online for you...

6. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

It's called a KVM switch. (Keyborad, Video, Mouse).

I use VNC to have a window open to other PCs over the LAN. Are we switching OS or computers? If OS, this link presents an interesting guide.

7. brian.cieslar

whats os?

8. mt2002

mt2002

OS = Operating System. i.e., Windows, Linux, Mac, etc...

thingamajig: That sounds like what I was looking for. Thanks for letting me know! :D

9. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

Operating system (XP Home, Vista Home Premium ,etc). Are there two computers, do you want to dual boot on one computer, or do you want to use virtualization to run an OS inside another OS? I'm trying to clarify your original question.

10. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

So many toys and so little time :D

11. brian.cieslar

virtualization? no i don't want to run an os inside another os, i just got one old crappy acer pc hopefully i get an new laptop soon, with windows vista home premium or business or ultimate sp1 32bit

12. mt2002

mt2002

I would go with getting a KVM switch then.

13. brian.cieslar

k then, btw how do i do the dual boot, without losing my stuff i already got on my hdd, i don't have that much stuff, just my mums emails and new favorites, my stuff all on the external hdd, anyways i wanna put windows vista on d: drive, c: drive is my windows xp media center edition sp3, once i did vista on d: drive with no dual boot, and it overighted my windows xp lol

14. mt2002

mt2002

Usually you would just create a new partition on your hdd (You might need to resize your primary partition to create space for your second partition first though) and install the OS on the new partition.

I heard of problems with Vista and partitioning though and cannot assist you with the possible potential for problems as I have never used Vista. When I get home later today and can post a link that may describe what to do if you like.

15. brian.cieslar

yes pls i like the link

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice