1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP appearance and styles.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by remaja, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

hello

there seems to be some problem with my XP styles and appearance.

in the appearance panel I can only see "windows classics" and "windows XP styles"

while other styles that I have gotten does not appear in the appearance tab.

in the desktop themes tab my other .theme files appears on the list but they do not change my taskbars, buttons, etc color. it only changes my wallpaper. while my visual styles remain classic or the default xp look.
    what seems to be the problem?
    thank you

2. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

You can only apply visual styles to Windows that have been digitally signed by Microsoft.

You can override this by hacking the UXtheme.dll file see here or use a program like Window Blinds or StyleXP.

3. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

thank you for the quick reply. unfortunately that didn't do the trick.

I went to the services to check on the "themes" services. it's enabled.

I went into the performance tab in my Computer > properties that did not do the trick either.

4. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

5. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

just to add on. unlike what's stated in my computer specs. I''ve updated xp to sp3 for quite a time. I'm not sure if that's any help. because i remember I had no problems during SP2 and i have not changed it since.

6. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Can i just get a clarification of the situation at hand.

If I understand correctly, you want custom themes to be applied to your computer, yet when you install them they are not listed under the Appearance tab in Display Properties?

7. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

yes. the .msstyles files does not appear in the display properties. under the display tab.

I have also downloaded and patch the UK theme with no success. I'll try it again.

8. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Okay try the patcher again.
    Can you advise me as to where you are installing the .msstyles files?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/781118