windows xp automatically reboots

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jerome707

after i see the windows xp logo it reboots. i tried booting in safe mode, last known good config, command prompt, bootlog and all of those and it keeps restarting. it wasnt like this when i installed xp a couple of hours ago. when i restarted my comp it just started doing this.

Often it is caused by the BIOS not being insync with XP. AS XP trys to controls the hardware completely with Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI). You should see if there is an update for your PC/motherboard.

It can also be a problem with firmware from a pieces of hardware installed in your PC. Remove all extras devices and then add one back at a time, once you have XP working. Good luck.

jerome707

Originally posted by Dan O:
Often it is caused by the BIOS not being insync with XP. AS XP trys to controls the hardware completely with Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI). You should see if there is an update for your PC/motherboard.

It can also be a problem with firmware from a pieces of hardware installed in your PC. Remove all extras devices and then add one back at a time, once you have XP working. Good luck.
how would i get the drivers if i cant get to the desktop? and i dont have any :)

You don't need to access XP to do as I suggested. You should first try to update the BIOS, which you do with a boot floppy disk. And If that does not fix it remove optional devices, such as a Fast wire card.

jerome707

You don't need to access XP to do as I suggested. You should first try to update the BIOS, which you do with a boot floppy disk. And If that does not fix it remove optional devices, such as a Fast wire card.
i have no floppy drive or a boot disk for my motherboard, i unplugged everything except for my ram and video card. it is still rebooting once its on the screen where it shows the xp logo

I feel you are not trying to work with me.

You are going to need a floppy drive or some other simular device, such as ZIP drive. You can use any boot disk which is MS-DOS based, such as a Windows 9x Startup Disk to update the BIOS once you have downloaded it and read the instructions. You can download a Boot disk image from www.bootdisk.com.

So please no more quick come backs.

jerome707

I feel you are not trying to work with me.

You are going to need a floppy drive or some other simular device, such as ZIP drive. You can use any boot disk which is MS-DOS based, such as a Windows 9x Startup Disk to update the BIOS once you have downloaded it and read the instructions. You can download a Boot disk image from www.bootdisk.com.

So please no more quick come backs.
i have no floppy drive, only a bootdisk (win 98 cd)

jerome707

i found my mother board cd but when i boot up in command prompt and try to install the drivers, it wont run the file it says invalid file or directory.

What made and model PC is it?

What version is the BIOS, which is displayed when you power on the PC.

Maybe you could borrow a floppy drive or purchase one. They are usually cheap, around $7-20.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online