1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP behaving very badly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ahnen, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahnen

ahnen Thread Starter

This is a difficult problem to describe, but I will do my best. First, I am an intermediate
    to advanced user. I have never seen a problem like this before.
    I am running Windows XP Pro, and have been on this computer for some time. At some
    point when another member of my family was using the computer, the computer
    stopped responding normally. The easiest thing to definitively describe is that right clicking in empty space on the desktop had always brought up the properties menu (which allowed me to easily access the display properties.) Now, right clicking does nothing. This is not a terrible thing in and of itself, but as I said, it is the easiest to describe. Here are some of the other symptoms which make this computer unusable:
    • After a reboot, when I click on a user, it takes a very long time (5 minutes of more) for the password entry box to appear
    • When (and if) I do get logged on to a specific user account, it takes a very long time to get any control
    • Right clicking on a tray icon usually brings up that programs properties menu. Now it has no effect.
    • When (and if) I do get control, I do not have complete control. Clicking on the 'X' in the title bar of an application does nothing. (It should close the application.) The keyboard usually elicits NO RESPONSE whatsoever. CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing, of course (since the keyboard appears to be unresponsive.)
    • The only input that I seems to be recognized is a left-click on the desktop. I can draw a random rectangle by dragging the mouse. Also, if I just left click, it brings up a menu associated with my video display.
    • double clicking does nothing
    The computer is virtually useless. The only way to reboot the system is to turn it off.

What have I done to try to fix the problem?
    I have tried several things to try to fix the problem. First I tried to bring the system up in safe mode. The system seems to behave a little better, but eventually all my input attempts are not recognized as with the normal boot scenario.
    I reinstalled XP. After reinstalling XP, I searched for and installed updates using Windows Update Manager. I was told to reboot, and the same thing occurred on the reboot.
    I would run a spyware detection program, but it is very difficult (and time consuming) to get this machine to respond to any input. Has anyone heard of anything like this? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Claymore

Claymore

Hello,

These sound like symptoms of malware.
    When you say you re-installed XP, was this a complete re-install to a formatted drive, a re-install over the current system, or "just" a repair install?
    If it was the last option, you must run spyware/virus scan, no matter how long it takes. You could run these in Safe Mode.
    You could post a HiJackThis log in the malware forum and have it looked at here. Run HiJackThis in Normal Mode.

You can get HiJackThis here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice