1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP black blinking monitor/NV4_disp error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skeered, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skeered

skeered Thread Starter

I think this is a video card error but am not sure. I did restart my computer in safe mode and it works fine this way. I did update my driver but it didn't help any. I am getting a full black screen that sits there for 3-7 seconds then you see the internet explorer page then when I try to search or go anywhere theres the black screen again. I only put the computer in safe mode to see if it was the monitor or not. Ive never had this happen before. Please help!:)

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

while in safe mode reinstall the drivers for the video card or on board graphics.in safe mode windows runs a generic driver set for the video display

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check your hardware first. Make sure that the card is firmly in its slot and that the fan is working (if present) and all your connections are OK.

Then remove the display driver (in normal or Safe Mode). Make sure you get all of it by cleaning with one or both of these (in Safe Mode, preferably):

Driver Cleaner Professional
    Nasty File Remover

Then, install the latest NVidia driver for your board.

www.nvidia.com/drivers

4. skeered

skeered Thread Starter

Thank you both for your responses. I did all listed and it did not help. Also,I used both cleaners b/c even after cleansing it showed traces of the video card info left behind.:confused: Eventually,we got it all but still have the black screen issue. Then my hubby thought that if we reinstalled windows as if it was a brand new computer it would behave like one again. Uhmm,no. Soo glad I backed up my pics,etc. 1st.:eek: So it went through the whole reinstall,then he thought if we reformatted it would take care of the issue but still no go. It is great in safe mode but the moment you switch back black,blink,black,blink...over and over. It was soo hard to go through the reinstall process with this happening. How can you fill out a box with your name,etc. when you cant see the box to type...then have to wait for another blink to see the next button and so on. Grrr. So,I have found a video card for my old machine (no fan on mine nor can it use the PCI-E type if that tells you anything) if thats what it needs. Just waiting for the pros to give the thumbs up that this is really what we need before spending $ on it. Thanks soo much!!:cool:

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, after all that< i think we can pretty much eliminate the software as the problem.

About the only thing left are BIOS settings and the card itself. Any changes made to BIOS? Has the card been removed and replaced to be sure the connections are all right?

6. brillser

brillser

Hi all,
    I've seen something like it before, I replaced the video card with a known good one, still the same problem. I replaced the monitor, problem solved.
    I'm just thinking that it might be one or the other.

7. skeered

skeered Thread Starter

Nothing had been changed when it started happening. If it was the monitor wouldnt it do it when in safe mode also? I also read about this before posting here and turned out my lights while monitor on to see if I see the glow some talked about letting you know its the monitor and that did not happen. All I can think is b/c it is appx 5 yrs old that its just time for a new card? Is there anything else I should try? Oh also, we did open it up,take out the card,make sure no dust and that it wasnt lose. All was fine. Thanks

8. speed_hog

speed_hog

2-Long shots here but is your refresh rate set higher than normal?
    Very long long shot bad memory stick I have only seen it once but it took me days to figure it out...
    a good way to diagnose is to remove ALL hardware you don't need to run pc, extra rom-drives, modem's ect... and that will help you narrow it down. if you have 2 sticks of memory remove one and try it again and then try the other one... same way,you have to run single stick in dimm1 or dimm zero ( first slot) of course
    remember to use anti-static strap and don't be on carpet when messing with anything that has memory chips on it and don't touch the gold pin connections
    see if someone will loan you a monitor for an hour and try it
    same with video card if possible
    thats why I have multiple pc's, very irritating when one is down
    you should get a second hard drive and put all your important stuff on it and of course back up to cd-dvd also

9. dragjack

dragjack

have you tried replacing the graphics card??

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

You could also try an older driver--one that came out closer to the time your card did.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/734222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice