1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Blue Screen (UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME)...PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wavey-davey, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wavey-davey

wavey-davey Thread Starter

Have encountered a problem with my PC, (which is a second-hand one about 2 years old). FYI, it has an Intel Celeron Processor and Windows XP Professional OS. I did not have the Windows XP disks or manuals supplied with the PC, so I can’t do a clean reinstall of the OS even if I wanted to.

The problem is this. In recent months, the PC would not shut down on frequent occasions and so I was left with no desktop icons on the screen and with only my selected background picture and Windows Start bar on the bottom of the screen. So, I’d often resort to switching off the PC at the mains power socket in my home…seemed to be doing the trick I thought! Had to do the same last night.

Anyway, today I booted up my PC and could only get the selected background picture with no desktop icons and only Windows Start bar on the bottom of the screen. Switched off again at the mains and turned back on after 5 minutes and now get the following message (black screen with white writing): -

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your file and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous start-up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren’t sure what caused the problem choose start windows normally.

SAFE MODE
    SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
    SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT
    LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION
    SART WINDOWS NORMALLY.

When, I press any of the above, I then get the message (blue screen with white writing): -

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware of software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any new hardware r software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start-up options and then select safe mode

Technical Information: -

***STOP:0x00000000ED (0x80E58D98, 0x C00006,0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I'm at a loss what I can do. Any ideas with what the heck is wrong with my PC ?....I fear the worst at the moment and can see that this might be a major problem. So, I need your help to tell me what is wrong with my PC and/or what I need to do from here...Is my Hard drive now corrupted beyond repair? Do I need to buy a new hardrive and reinstall Windows OS ?

Good or bad news awaited from out there. Thanks in advance !

2. terja

terja

Ok, sadly, by shutting your computer down the way you have been doing (cutting the power source without doing proper shutdowns) you risk several things, corrupting files on your hard-drive, and in rare cases, actually causing electrical damage to the hardware (surges) in your PC.

STOP:0x00000000ED (0x80E58D98, 0x C00006,0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I did some searching on the error codes your getting, and from what I've seen it usually indicates hardware issues, but from pasts experiences, I've seen faulty RAM cause a drive not to boot with similar errors, I've also seen corrupt NTFS file-systems give this error. The most i can recomend, is taking it to a PC shop, unless you have the tools to troubleshoot with (spare hardware, XP CD, etc.. there is not much you can do..

but this is only my 2 cents, someone else might know an instant fix for it :) but i wish you luck.

3. wavey-davey

Thanks for that.

I've just spoken to a co-worker who thinks it may be that a critical Windows XP file has been corrupted when I've turned off at the mains. So, I'm going to buy a copy of Windows XP and do a clean re-install.

He suggested I press the Delete key as soon as I turn the PC on to access BIOS/CMOS and then do a reinstall of Windows XP.

At worst the hardrive may be kaput ! But will wait to hear from anyone else out there with any ideas and suggestions.

4. terja

terja

Aye I'd say its probably 80% software, cause I've treated past computers the same way, if not worst lol :D its much easier to corrupt a file than it is to damage some hardware (for the average PC user...) but yes, if your going to buy XP, i suggest using newegg.com, they have XP home with sp2 for 92 bucks :) -- PRO for 143.00 --- I've seen them in the store for over 200 for home, and 300 for pro *gag*

Hmm come to think of it, i should have suggested buying XP home in the first place, rather than taking it to a PC shop :eek: :eek: :eek:

lol sorry 'bout that :D

5. wavey-davey

OK, think problem now solved.

Now have a Windows XP Home Edition disk and Windows XP Pro Upgrade Disk. Have done a clean install with the Windows XP Home Edition disk and the PC now boots up fine once again...but of course I've lost all the data I had so having to install additional programs from scratch, but can live with that.

Anyone know if there are any bugs with the Windows XP Professional upgrade as I hear it can mess up your internet connections?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/315515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice