1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by terran2265, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terran2265

terran2265 Thread Starter

When I turn on the computer it boots like it should for a while but just before it starts Windows the following message appears:

Drive not ready
    Insert BOOT diskette in A:
    Press any key when ready

If I leave the Windows XP CD in the DVD Drive then the computer will say this:

Press any key to boot from CD....

If I don't press any keys then the computer will boot into Windows normally and everything will work fine. How can I wean the computer from its need for the Windows CD?

2. kben1028

kben1028

When did your system start doing this?? You may need to change the boot sequence in your system's BIOS.

3. terran2265

Well, I was having problems with Windows Me so I decided to format the hard drive and install Windows XP. While doing this I also changed the file system to NTFS. Now the computer works well except for two things, one being the boot problem I mentioned and the other being that the sound no longer works.

4. LarryCore

LarryCore

Sound is probably due to a need for new drivers that work with XP.

Boot issue - can you copy and paste your BOOT.INI file into a reply? It will be in the root of your C drive. You do only have one hard drive, right?

5. mobo

mobo

Enter the bios and set the first boot device to c drive. And FYI if you have a bootable cd in the cdrom you will always get that "press any key to boot from cdrom" line...

6. terran2265

I could only find boot.ini.backup and the content was as follows:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

7. mobo

mobo

Did you try resetting the first boot device ?

8. LarryCore

LarryCore

Without a BOOT.INI file windows will not load correctly. That could be the problem.

Assuming that you only have the one drive, that backup file is correct. Try copying it to C:\BOOT.INI and see what happens. If you get an error saying it already exists, open the existing one and paste it here.

9. mobo

mobo

Go to folder options and click on the view tab . Then set it to show hidden files and folders as well as operating system files. Then retry the search for boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com

10. terran2265

Sorry for the delay. I did try setting the first boot device to 1st IDE hard drive but the error is still there. I tried the search again for those three files and what was found was boot.ini.backup which is below, ntldr, but netdetect.com was not found. I will try changing boot.ini.backup to boot.ini and placing it in C:\

boot.ini.backup has the following:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

11. mobo

mobo

Be absolutely sure you have the settings correct like "show hidden files and folders " as well as "show operating system files " in the view tab of folder options in control panel. If not it will not show the folders like what is happening to you.

12. terran2265

Apparently the search function in Windows can't locate system files even when you do ask it to show hidden and protected files... but the file boot.ini does exist in the C:\ and the contents are the same as the backup I posted before.

13. mobo

mobo

try using the xp cd to enter the recovery console and type in a a command fixboot.

14. terran2265

I tried entering the recovery console and using the fixboot and fixmbr commands but the problem still exists.

15. LarryCore

LarryCore

"When I turn on the computer it boots like it should for a while but just before it starts Windows the following message appears:

Drive not ready
    Insert BOOT diskette in A:
    Press any key when ready"

When you say just before Windows starts, what do you mean? Do you mean before you get to the desktop? Before you get the Windows logo screen? I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice