1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by extremelyawesome, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. extremelyawesome

extremelyawesome Thread Starter

Hey there, I hope you can help me!
    I uninstalled Kaspersky Antivirus 2010 because i purchased Internet security 2010, the better one.
    After I uninstalled, i had to restart so I did. I logged in, and then the liverpool fc wallpaper that i chose before restart, no taskbar, start menu, icons. CTRL ALT DELETE dont work. Im stuffed! (n) Safe mode works, perfectly but i need to get into normal startup.

PLEASE HELP!

Simon

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Hello and welcome to TSG.

Restart into Normal Mode and at that plain Desktop, press the Control, Shift and Escape keys together and when the Task Manager comes up, click on the Processes tab. Select File menu then New Task (Run) and type in explorer.exe. That should restore settings and you should install your new Security package next before going online. Hopefuly, when that installation is over you can restart and everything should be back to normal.

3. extremelyawesome

extremelyawesome Thread Starter

that doesn't work. I can only get to the desktop with the xp cd in the dvd drive. Then when that is in, I press ctrl alt delete and then windows explorer loads, and the Processes tab is filled with iexplore.exe I use Firefox, not Internet explorer and in Set Program Access Defaults i unticked Enable access to this program that was next to Internet Explorer.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Go into Safe Mode and form the Start button, go to Run and in the Open box, type msconfig and hit Enter. Click on the StartUp tab and untick everything. It would be normal to say except your AV and Firewall but you don't have one. Let the system restart as it requests and when in comes back in Normal Mode, tick "Don't show this message again" and it Enter. Whatever was starting automatically and causing multiple attempts to open IE should have stopped doing it and give you a cleaner system to work on.

5. antech

antech Banned

Tried System Restore??
    Just a Last Resort if Saga Lout is not able to solve your problem

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice