1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP boot problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Drinny, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drinny

Drinny Thread Starter

I have been experiencing intermittent bootup problems with Windows XP. When this happens, the XP splash screen appears(blue line scrolling) and then monitor loses signal and reboot occurs. This can cycle several times, even if I choose the option of starting Windows with last known configuration that worked. It always eventually loads and reports that Windows experienced a serious problem.

When I press the F10 key for recovery, the following message appears:

C:\minint\system32>regsvr33 /s net cfgx.dll
    C:\minint\system32>cd \pq
    C:\pq>image
    Path not found -D:\
    This device is not ready
    PQI Deploy NT
    Copyright <C> 1994-2002 Powerquest Corporation
    Build 010 on May 30 2002 11:13:08
    0:00
    Error 1838: Script contains and invalid drive number
    Error in script
    Factory.pqi does not exist
    Press any key to continue

Does the above suggest a BIOS problem? If so, what should the order of bootup be?

I have a DVD Writer, DVD Player, C: Drive and removable A: drive

Would appreciate some help/advice
    Thanks in anticipation

2. irregularjoe

irregularjoe

Don't think so, but D is not being found. That's probably one of the DVD units.
    Redo the order so A, C boot. Don't include the DVD player/ writer.
    See what happens.

3. matt_aj

matt_aj

What kind of machine is this? The problem is that when you go to do the recovery, your recovery software is located on another partition on your hard drive. Newer Dells and HP's do this. It is looking for an image to put on your machine from that partition. "Error 1838: Script contains and invalid drive number
    Error in script
    Factory.pqi does not exist"

Factory.pqi is a Powerquest Image. It is looking for that image and not finding it. If you have formatted your drive since you bought it, you won't have the factory image anymore. Also, if you were having issues in the first place, that might be a good indicator that the hard drive might be the one causing the issues.

It could also be that it is requiring a cd/dvd with the image on it instead.

4. Drinny

Drinny Thread Starter

I am using a MESH computer, purchased June 2005. Have not reinstalled any operating systems since purchase.... is it possible then that I have a faulty hard drive?

5. matt_aj

matt_aj

Ok when it reboots, its probably putting up a blue screen error and rebooting before you can see it. Try this, Right Click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings. Under System Failure, uncheck Automatically restart. This should show you the blue screen instead of rebooting automatically. If you get the blue screen post the error on here.

6. Drinny

Drinny Thread Starter

On blue screen I get the following error message:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Does this suggest a software/hardware fault?
    If so , any suggestions as to how I identify would be much appreciated

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice