1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by XPUser1991, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XPUser1991

XPUser1991 Thread Starter

i have a dell mini 9 that have installed windows xp pro to the SSD but i installed linux to a flash drive that i then needed for school so i reformatted it, now when i turn on my dell mini 9 it says:

ERROR: no such device: e756f3fe-9ff8-4003d-927e-1aef7bee16af.
    grub rescue>

so i can't boot xp, the other problem is that the board for my usb cd drive went and so i don't have a cd drive, so i want to know, how can i fix my computer so it only boots xp?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

FIRSTLY
    I presume Safe Mode on F8 and Last Known Good do not work.
    I would not expect they will.

The computer is attempting to boot from Grub boot loader in Linux
    Is the boot device the Solid state drive, or is the boot priority looking for the Linux flash drive presuming that is bootable usb drive.
    If the BIOS shows the boot device as the flash drive set the boot as the SSD.
    If that is already so set, then you will have to borrow, presuming that you do not have one, an XP CD enter recovery console and issue a FixMBR (Master Boot record) cmd. and fixboot.
    See here.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-mbr-xp-vista/

HOWEVER be aware that running FixMbr on an OEM installation is not always successful.
    It may fail if the drive is partitioned with a XP partition and a recovery partition
    If the fixmbr command detects an invalid or non-standard partition table signature, fixmbr command prompts you for permission before it rewrites the MBR.

You can of course depending on what was provided with that Dell mini 9. run the recovery programs etc from the DVD or the recovery partition.
    BE AWARE of what you are running otherwise you may end up with just the original installation and the loss of all personal data.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice