1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP bootable floppies?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bloodyskullz, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bloodyskullz

Bloodyskullz Thread Starter

Can I actually get the start up files from the windwos xp cd that I want to use for isntallation? I know where to get it from the microsoft website but I want to actually get the files fromt he cd. Anyone know the location on the cd? Help apprecitated.

Skullz

2. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly its something like 6 or 8 floppies which will get you started with an xp install, then you need the cd to finish the install. Do you have hardware problems so that you can't install from a sata cd/dvd drive or something?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

There is a way to do it from the install cd for Windows XP but these are not for installation since all of the install cd's are bootable anyways. I forget how to do this but there is a text file on the install disc that explains how to make these disks. One thing before you try to make these discs make sure they are all formatted so you know they are all good disks, one bad disk spoils the pudding.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You really need only a single floppy to start the XP installation. Make one from the Boot Disk Essentials.

Start the computer with your boot disk.

Change to the cdrom drive.

Go into the \i386 directory on the cdrom.

Run WINNT.EXE to begin the install process.

6. Bloodyskullz

That file unpacks into the entire installation, formatting and welcome setup on a windows cd?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

That formats a floppy to boot from. Then the DOS installation is started on the CD. It goes normally soon after the DOS portion is done. The floppy created has smartdrv included to speed up the DOS portion.

Formatting is done later as part of XP setup and not before you start to install.

8. Bloodyskullz

Once all that is completed I am able to the installation etc...from the floppy and then continue to sue the cd for the user interface correct? btw is there a simplier way? or that's the easiest it gets?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

The easiest is just to boot from the XP CD.

10. Bloodyskullz

Unfortunately I have a copy that I want to use but everytime I try it on my brother's computer it gives me the BSOD and its legal copy. I tried it on my old computer and it works just fine. I purchase a new cd and it works. I tried an old XP cd (home edition) and it give me the same result as the copy that gave me BSOD. It's also a legal copy given to me by IBM back like 7 years ago. I still have 1 one more time for the serial. Does anyone have any suggestions about getting past the BSOD on the old discs?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have a good CD, why not use that one?

12. Bloodyskullz

I do its just the liscence on the cd that doesn't work on my brothers computer is my problem. So that's why i wanted to know how to use the bootable floppies to do it. If I copied the file from the cd that doesnt work on my bro's computer will it give me the same problem?

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, same problem. You need a different license for each computer and a different license for every version of XP (Media, Home, or Pro). What version are you trying to install and what version is the product key for?

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

It won't make any difference how you try to start the installation. You will still need the correct key for the version of XP that you are installing. No matter how you start the instalattion, if it is a Home version, it needs a Home key, etc.

15. Bloodyskullz

Check your PM's.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice