1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP boots normally hangs going into Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by semilayout1, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. semilayout1

semilayout1 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3326 Mb
    Graphics Card: RADEON X300 Series, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 72159 MB, Free - 25300 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U7077
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I was in my yahoo email account several days ago and noticed emails returned that I didn't send. I later got notice from Yahoo that someone from Bulgaria had been in my yahoo account and that I should change all my yahoo account settings.

This morning I ran Microsoft Security Essentials in Quick Scan mode and found no problems. When I ran it in regular scan mode it came back and reported W32/TightVNC on my system and asked if I wanted to remove it. I attempted to remove it and it hung several minutes into the removal process. I rebooted and attempted several times to remove it and got the same results. I attempted to Boot in Safe Mode and a bunch of lines scrolled by on screen and the computer went to the Safe Mode user login in screen. When I attempted to login as either as either Administrator or My User name after I would hit the first key to enter the password the system would lock up.

I Restored Windows to an earlier date to attempt to repair the problem to no avail.
    I ran Spotmau PowerSuite Wincare 2010 PC Health and allowed it to repair many registry problems and to delete unwanted files. I ran Tuneup Kit Windows Cleanup from this same Software Suite and somewhere during one of the runs of this software I manged to delete all of my Windows restore points; so now I can't attempt to go back further to restore my Windows environment to get Safe Mode functioning again. Whatever happened to prevent Safe mode from opering properly also caused Microsoft Security Essentials to lockup everytime I ran it; therefore I have removed that software from my system for the time being.

What help can anyone offer for me to get Safe Mode operating again. I believe I need to get into Safe Mode in order to successfully remove this TightVNC.

I don't know how this software got put on my computer. Could have been a service tech from computer manufacture, service tech from Internet provider or someone with malicious intent. Not knowing were it came from has me feeling I should remove it before someone uses it to steal my financial information and/or identity.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice