1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Boots S...l....o.....w...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rikku, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

I read at Microsoft that Windows XP should boot in 30 seconds.

However, my recent clean install of XP takes over 1 minute to boot (not including POST and after I've 'logged in' to my profile.)

I've recently run BootVis from Microsoft to optimize it, but it doesn't seem to help.

What could be causing my computer to boot in such a Mac-like manner?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

rikku did you ever run the programs I referred you to before... the Ad-Aware for spyware . Did you uncheck all those excess things in startup?

Savvy :)

go get Ad-Aware
    Click here to download it

3. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

yes,

I've just installed XP and it has done this ever since I put it on. I haven't loaded any extra stuff on there so I know there is no spyware.

I just don't get it - XP sits at the screen where the little bar moves back and forth; it sits there for like one minute before continuing. It doesn't look like the machine is doing anything either...

so wierd. :confused:

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Did you do a total f/disk & reformat to add XP to your system or did you just install it?

5. Rockn

Rockn

It's loading and verifying your drivers while it's doing that. Is this a fresh install of XP or an upgrade from another OS?

6. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

I did a fresh install deleting all my partitions and reformatting to NTFS.

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

you're in need of something then....

maybe its XP... some have problems with it.

I don't know a thing about it.

Did you check to see w/ all the new downloads how many items you have in startup?

also go to system/properties & look for warnings of incompatabilty

8. daved247

daved247

Do you have your network card installed...I had this problem with windows 2000.

Check your network settings and your ip address. Your computer might be hanging because of this.

9. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Rikku is it better now?

10. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

I didn't get a chance to play with my home system much last night.

Maybe after work today...

I will try scouring around and post what is loading at startup. Its weird because I just installed this and I haven't loaded much of anything on yet....

daved247 - i don't have a network card, however I do have a Firewire card that I recall XP tried to setup as a Network Adapter. I'll check that too and let you know.

11. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

Ok, I deleted the non-working entry for a Firewire Network card and went over all the settings. Next time it booted, it flew!!

My computer must have booted in under 20 seconds. I've never seen it boot so fast even with ME.

HOWEVER. Now it only does that every other time. It still boots slow once in a while and other times it boots fast.

I can't begin to figure out why a computer would take MINUTES more time to boot than other times....

<sigh>

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice