1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP boots to a blank screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by windowshater, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. windowshater

windowshater Thread Starter

This is a somewhat elaborate problem, and I haven't been able to get to the bottom of it. Here's the story"

I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP1.
    AMD64 3800+
    GIGABYTE Dual BIOS 939 motherboard
    OCV PLATINUM 3200 RAM (1 GB)

About a week ago I powered down my computer via the shutdown option in the start menu. It got hung up, so I shut it down manually. The next day when I turned my computer on, Windows informed me that my C:windows/system32/config/system file had been corrupted. I used the recovery console and replaced each of the five registry files using the method from the Microsoft support website.
    Note: For debugging purposes, I took out an old hard drive and and attempted to install XP. It halted about 90% through the installation and reported a Machine Check Exception error. I had a slight overclock on the memory and had the voltages running 0.2V higher than normal. I changed the voltages back and tuned the BUS back to 200 MHz. This error is gone for the time being.
    Anyway, when attempted to boot, Windows informs me that it was shutdown improperly and gives me the option of booting from safe mode, normally, from last know configuration. It does not matter what method I choose, Windows boots to a blank black screen with a mouse cursor. At the top and bottom of the screen is says what version of windows I'm running and that I'm running SP1 (and if I boot from safe mode, it says Safe mode too). I can move the mouse around, and theres nothing wrong with the graphics drivers or the display adapter since I can tell from the mouse cursor that the resolution is what I left it at. However, I can do nothing else. Clicks on the mouse, esc, ctr-alt-del, all do nothing. I have tried several different copies of the registration files from the System Volume Information folder, and they all produce the same result.

Any ideas?

2. dai

dai

do a repair install

3. Fishmonger12

Fishmonger12

seconded.

kind of off topic, but i've got the same motherboard as you. do you have any ram related crashes or anything of the sort? i've got corsair mem, overvolted .2V, and it still crashes. Had to clock down from 400 mhz to 333.

4. dai

dai

5. windowshater

I already tried a repair install. Same thing. Loads to a blank screen. I put in another hard drive with Windows XP on, and it loads fine. For whatever reason, I can't seem to repair the current version.

6. dai

dai

have you run the h/d diognostic program from the hard drive manufacturer on the drive

7. windowshater

I ran h/d daignostics, nothing wrong there. I can't seem to pinpoint the problem. Are there any files that I might need to replace other than the sam, defailt, system, software, and security registry files? What is the purpose of the system.sav, default.sav, etc. files? This blank screen is driving me nuts. If I do a fresh installation will it overwrite all of the allocation tables (actually its NTFS, so however thats works) so that I will no longer have access to my data?

8. dai

dai

boot from the xp cd into the recovery console and try
    fixboot
    fixmbr

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/286173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice