1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Bootup Halts At Wallpaper

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Koosharem, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koosharem

Koosharem Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2045 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 253309 MB; D: Total - 4117 MB, Free - 3515 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0N6381
    Antivirus: Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live! Anti-Virus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

I was preparing to install a new version of Ad-Aware and used the Uninstaller that came with the old version. At the end of the uninstaller, I was prompted to re-start the computer to "complete the uninstall". The bootup sequence stopped with just my "wallpaper" graphic displayed on the screen (no Desktop nor System Tray). I recovered by using Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Mgr and closed Windows. Then, via Clean Boot, I ran System Restore to bring the system up (in an earlier configuration) successfully.

This bootup "failure" has happened before on several occasions, and I need a "fix" for it! Any ideas??

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If this has happen on more than one occasion - my 'fix' would be to remove Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live! Anti-Virus and use another Anti-Virus program.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Get rid of Lavasoft Ad-Aware (n) and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials 2.1.1116.0 (y) - which is lighter and user-friendly and not problematic and well-recommended here.

---------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice