1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP BSOD, computer will not boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by janiepea, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janiepea

janiepea Thread Starter

I let my teenager borrow my Dell Latitude E5500 using Windows XP and he returned it with the blue screen of death reading:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer . . .

Technical infomation:
    *** STOP: OX0000007E (OXC0000005, OX8AFB0988, OXBA503BE8, OXBA5038E4)

When my computer boots, the Windows XP screen appears followed by the BSOD. I cannot get it to boot -- even if I use F8 and attempt Safe mode, or restore to last known good configuration.

Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this?

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

Hi and welcome.
    Do you have the Xp install Cd?

Boot from the Xp install Cd...when prompted press [R]
    Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
    When prompted for password.
    Press Enter.
    Type chkdsk /r
    [note space after chkdsk]

When fininshed.
    Type Exit
    And press Enter.

3. janiepea

janiepea Thread Starter

I do have the Dell XP Reinstallation DVD. But how do I boot from the DVD? With the DVD in the tray, it still attempts to boot to the hard drive.

4. vicks

vicks

If you can get into the BIOS, be sure to set the DVD/CD drive to be the drive to boot from..
    When you boot the computer, it will briefly show which key to tap to open the bios.
    Vicks

5. janiepea

janiepea Thread Starter

Yes! I had to press F12 to get into the BIOS and now Windows is installing. Thank you so much!

6. vicks

vicks

You are most welcome. If you are satisfied with the results, feel free to click on the 'marked solved' optioin at the top left corner of your original post.
    Vicks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1042100