Windows XP BSoD help needed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

croix

OK, I keep getting a "Page Fault in Non Paged Area" BSoD at random times, but quite often, i.e. 5 or 6 times a day. I know that this is usually an error with hardware/drivers, or with RAM.

This is a new system I built, with all new parts, and Ive already taken Norton off, which i know can cause this error. Other than that, there is no other software that i think would be causeing the problem... Firefox and Nero and aim is about everything installed so far.

I have updated windows with everything available except for SP2.

What I need to know is if anyone knows another cause for this problem, or if I just need to return the RAM and get a new stick. Im trying to avoid that if possible, cause it was bought online, and not from Crucial, so it can be a pain in the ***. Also, I have two sticks in there, a new 512 generic stick that i just ordered new, and an old 256 stick i had layin around the house.

Any help is appreciated.

Download Memtest86 onto a bootable CD or floppy. Reboot the computer with the CD/floppy in the drive. Run Memtest86 to find out if the RAM is bad.

BTW, buying generic RAM is usually a bad idea -- always go with a brand recommended by the motherboard manufacturer. If they do not recommend a brand, I personally use Crucial, Corsair or Kingston.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online