Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP: Can I upgrade from 98 with full (not upgrade) disc?

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  ringwood 
#1 ·
Like the topic says, trying to upgrade to windows xp - abit with a "full install" disc. So far I've not figured out how to do this, or if it's even possible. I tried inserting the disc while in windows 98, but it didn't give me an option to upgrade.

#2 ·
You need to reboot the machine with the Windows XP CD inside. Make sure your machine can support El Torito. All computers nowadays does. (El Torito is when the CD boots first) To make sure, go to the BIOS screen and change the boot sequence to CD in first place. Restart with the CD in and you're good to go.

#6 ·
err, my point was yes, its the full XP you have. But being the full version you aren't upgrading from win98, you are replacing win98 fully!
Having an upgrade XP version would require that win98 be installed on your system to UPGRADE from. But you have the full version of XP you say,therefore your current win98 doesn't need to be there and, hopefully someone else will correct me if I'm mistaken, perhaps you should totally remove win98 from your system then freshly install the full XP on the formatted system drive.[after backing up your important files of course]

#7 ·
the only difference between an upgrade version and a full version,is the upgrade will askyou to insert your previous operating system disk to verify you are entitled to the upgrade.
you can install on a clean h/d the upgade will just ask you to insert the previous disk

#9 ·
dai: I know that, but it's not working when I do this
bobol: You got the reply that wasn't mean for you, I was talking to the person before you.
I don't have an install handy, only the full version. And I get wholesale prices anyways.
If I needed to do a clean install I'd just do that, but I have to upgrade because well... I have to.

#11 ·
this is pasted from the readme file on the xp cd
1.5 Upgrading vs. Installing a New Copy
======================================================================

After you start the Windows XP Setup Wizard, one of the first
decisions you have to make is whether to upgrade your current
operating system or to perform an entirely new installation. During
the setup process, you must choose between upgrading or installing a
new copy of Windows (a "clean install").

During an upgrade, the Windows XP Setup Wizard replaces existing
Windows files but preserves your existing settings and applications.
Some applications might not be compatible with Windows XP Professional
and therefore might not function properly after an upgrade. You can
upgrade to Windows XP Professional from the following
operating systems:

* Windows 98 (all versions)
* Windows Millennium Edition
* Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (Service Pack 6 and later)
* Windows 2000 Professional (including service packs)
* Windows XP Home Edition

If your computer is currently running an unsupported operating
system, you must install a new copy. The wizard installs Windows XP
Professional in a new folder. After the installation is complete, you
will have to reinstall applications and reset your preferences.

You should UPGRADE if all You should INSTALL a new copy
of the following are true: if any of the following are true:
========================= ==============================

You're already using an earlier Your hard disk is blank.
version of Windows that
supports upgrading.

- and - - or -

You want to replace your Your current operating system
Windows operating doesn't support an upgrade to
system with Windows XP. Windows XP.

- and - - or -

You want to keep your existing You already use an operating
files and preferences. system, but you don't want to
keep your existing files and
preferences, so that you
can cleanly install.

If you want to modify the way the wizard installs Windows XP
Professional, click Advanced Options, and then perform any of the
following tasks:

* Change the default location of the setup files.
* Store system files in a folder other than the default folder
(\Windows).
* Copy the installation files from the CD to the hard disk.
* Select the partition on which to install Windows XP Professional.

Unless you're an advanced user, you should use the default settings.

#12 ·
Sorry if I'm not being clear. I'm going to restate what I'm trying to do:

I would like to upgrade from windows 98 to windows XP pro using a full xp pro disc, NOT an upgrade disc. I do not have an upgrade disc handy, and I've already paid for the full version.

I have tried:
- Inserting the disc into the machine with windows 98 running. Normally it should pop up a message asking if you want to run a full install, or an upgrade. In this case, I only got the option for a full install.

- Booting to the disc. Says it will overwrite the previous verion of windows.

I'm wondering if there is a trick it to do an upgrade instead of a full install.

#13 ·
You need an upgrade disc to do what you are stating you want to do. Another option would be to buy a new HD, put XP Pro on that then put your win 98 HD in as slave. You then can copy/paste any folders etc that you want to keep over to the new disk. Unfortunately, you also have to reload all Apps that you currently use.

#16 ·
Hi all

I'm looking to install xp on a hard drive that has 98 on it. The 98 program has many problems and can only be open in safe mode.
I have a full install for xp. I would like to bring my c drive back to new condition, as if it was purchased fron the store, and install xp from there.
How can I get there?
thanks

#18 ·
Do a clean install, reboot and when it says this will overwrite the previous version of windows tell it OK.
From what I gather you are not wanting to keep 98 which would involve partitionong the drive. Overwriting is a clean install, which is what you will want.
Make sure you have ALL of your drivers first. Make sure you get the drivers for XP.
Nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.