1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows XP Can ping IP, But Not Host Name

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Veronica316, Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Veronica316

Veronica316 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I've done a Google search and saw quite a few threads similar to mine, unfortunately none of the suggested solutions seemed to work for me, so I wonder if anyone can help.

I have a Windows XP Lenovo laptop that I suspect had some malware which has since been removed (ran various virus and malware killer scans and all come up empty).

However, while the laptop connects to the modem/router (via Ethernet, disabled wireless to avoid confusion) it doesn't seem to connect to the internet via any browsers (Chrome, IE etc).

Windows Firewall is disabled, no other firewall exists. Anti Virus is also disabled just to clear the path.

I can ping the router/modem by IP, I can ping other PC's on the home network by IP and name all successfully, I can also ping localhost successfully, but whenever I try to ping say www.yahoo.com it gives me the "ping request could not find host www.yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again". Pinging Yahoo's IP address however does work and gets responses.

I checked the host file name and it is empty apart from the "127.0.0.1 localhost" line.

I tried running some winsock fixing tools as well, but no luck. Still no internet connection.

If I type the IP address of my modem/router into a browser window I get the modem/router console, so connectivity between modem/router and the laptop is there, just not to the internet as such.

My "Ipconfig /all" output is as follows:

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : lenovo-e0f296f4
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Con
    nection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-16-1E-ED-2E
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.9
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 15 December 2015 13:55:56
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 16 December 2015 13:55:56

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Ericsson F3507g Mobile Broadband Min
    icard Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-80-37-EC-02-00

Can anyone provide suggestions on what steps to take? it seems like I'm nearly there as I can ping and see other PC and domains, just not able to use browser or ping by host name.

Many thanks in advance,
    Veronica

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
  3. Veronica316

Thanks for the quick response, I tried this before, and did again just now to make sure, rebooted, but unfortunately still no internet access

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Have you tried a power cycle on modem and router (if you have a router)?

5. Veronica316

Not sure what that is, the modem is built in with the router, and there are other PC's mobile devices that connect to it and are able to connect to the internet successfully, if that helps.

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Do this

Remove the power cable from the device or unplug the power cable from your wall outlet. Wait about 10-12 seconds. Plug the power cord back into the device or back into the wall outlet. Wait a few moments for the device to turn back on, load all of its settings, and reconnect your devices to the internet access.

7. Veronica316

Unfortunately the problem still exists, I re-booted the modem router as suggested, took out the power supply for a minute, back on, all devices came back on the network, as did the laptop in question, but while the others connect to the internet the laptop continues to show nothing.

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    hmm...unfortunately im not really good with networking. However since you said you had malware and removed it, i know for a fact that some malware tools DO cause similiar problems. if you want we can have your question MOVED TO MALWARE/VIRUS forum, where you may get better help. I am going to request to have someone look over this thread and determine if it may need to be move to a more appropiate forum. :)

9. Veronica316

Thanks, I'm fairly certain the system is clean now after using various one off removal tools (like Stinger, Bugbear etc) as well as ongoing ones like Malware and Spybot and McAfee programs to scan various times over with nothing coming up, but my suspicion is something in the networking setup might have been corrupted during the cleaning process.

If anyone can provide input it would be greatly appreciated.

10. Veronica316

I'm also attaching the MiniToolbox and Farbar scan results, if it helps anyone.

Attached Files:

• FSS.txt
      File size:
      2.5 KB
      Views:
    • MTB.txt
      File size:
      30.7 KB
      Views:
  11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you ping websites by IP address? Try pinging 8.8.8.8

Also, do you have other devices, do they connect through the router and if so can you post the results of a IPCONFIG /ALL for them?

Also what modem, router, access point, or other network devices do you have?

12. Veronica316

Thank you for your suggestion, but I did a system a restore, and restored the files I backed up, it's all working now again I guess, and the system is clean.

I'm still unsure what the original issue was, but please feel free to close this thread.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Threads are generally not closed until they go over a set time of inactivity. We do ask that you mark your thread as Solved though which you can find above the top post.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice