1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows xp, cannot access at all

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sooks, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sooks

Sooks Thread Starter

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help,

last night I was unable to get into my pc, (I have windows xp). The white message on a black screen said 'windows could not start because the Windows file is missing or corrupt (\windows\system32\config\system). It also says 'you can attempt to repair this by starting Windows Setup using the orginal Setup cd rom'. (which I don't have as my pc was reconditioned and did not come with a disc.)
    Then it says 'select 'r' at the first screen to start repair'. (it just reboots and goes back to above message when I do this.) I tried to get into it this morning, but message is the same and emails are being sent back to people who send them to me.
    Has my pc crashed? What caused this and what can I do to remedy this problem? A friend sent me a load of comedy clips on Monday, and I think this may have caused it I am very worried about the security of my pc now. I thought I had virus protection but it seems I didn't. Will a reboot with a windows xp disc solve the problem?

DON'T PANIC RE VIRUS THOUGH, THIS MESSAGE IS ON ANOTHER PC.

Many thanks

Sooks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. Sooks

Sooks Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick response, I will try these measures when I can get hold of a windows cd rom.

Can I ask you though, what exactly are hives?

Many thanks

Sooks

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Hives = Where the registry is stored this is the name Microsoft has given to this.

If you want the recovery disk set for your computer you can call the manufacturer of the computer and order a set of them and you will have them in a few days, they usually cost less than purchasing a Microsoft disk at the local computer store and they are the correct ones for the computer.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice