1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP...cannot boot laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sporty, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sporty

sporty Thread Starter

I'm can't get my Compaq 2100US Laptop to boot.........It has Windows XP Home /SP2.

When I start up the PC now, I get a screen that says, "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully, a recent hardware or software change may have caused this, ….etc."
    Then I am offered with a bunch of options to either:

1) Start in Safe Mode
    2) Safe Mode with Networking
    3) Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    4) Start Windows Normally
    5) Last Known Good Configuration (Your most recent settings that worked)

I've tried all of the above and nothing works. If I choose 4 or 5 from the list, it looks as though Windows is starting because you see the black screen with the Windows logo and the little blue bar scrolling across but then the screen goes black and stays black and nothing happens - XP never loads.
    If I choose 1, 2 or 3 from the list, I get hung up on a screen that shows several lines of text as follows:
    “multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/Windows\AppPatchSystem 32” and so forth. The screen will just stay like this. I left it for about 30 minutes when I gave up shut it down.

Therefore I can NOT get XP to boot in any Safe Mode.

After some research, the next thing I tried to do was to a Repair Install of Windows XP. This is supposed to allow you to install Windows XP but just fix the damaged files without reformatting and wiping out the hard drive. So, with my XP install disk, I restarted the computer and started following the Windows Setup steps. Everything goes fine until I get to the screen where Windows XP Setup is supposed to detect the XP installation on the C drive that I am trying to repair. Then it simply reverts back to the original screen & locks up.

Thanks in advance for any help !!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice