1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP cannot get to login screen because of Wireless Adapter Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Fetch_Man, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fetch_Man

Fetch_Man Thread Starter

Everytime I boot up my PC (Windows XP Pro) it first gets past the CPU logo and then goes to this screen with the words:

For Realtek RTL 81105/81695 Gigabit Ethernet
    Controller v1.01 (030820)
    Pxe-e61: Media test failure, check cable
    Pxe-MOF: exiting pxe. rom

and that screen keeps flashing and flashing, i cannot even get to safe mode. The only thing I can do is restart using CTRL+ALT+DEL, which does nothing because the screen just comes right back.

I have a wireless adapter (D-Link AirPlus G) that has been working fine for the last 2 years. All of a sudden it stops working, screwing my entire PC (well, it can't start up at least).

Please help.

2. The Hound

The Hound

Boot to the BIOS (tap either del or F1 or F2, or whatever key your initial screen might tell you to press to enter setup) and disable network boot--you might look for the boot order, and remove or disable any lan or network boot items.

3. Fetch_Man

Fetch_Man Thread Starter

There was no specific "Disable network book," there were only 3 options. The last one was "Other Item," (i assumed this to be the network boot) so I disabled it. Then I restarted and it came to a new screen that said:

Boot Failure
    Reboot and select proper Boot device
    or insert Boot Media inselected Boot device
    Press any key when ready.

4. The Hound

The Hound

What were the other devices, and in what order?

5. Fetch_Man

Fetch_Man Thread Starter

the BIOS boot order screen:

1st Boot Device Disabled (the CHOICES however are CD drive, BBS-O(Network): Realtek Boot Agent
    2nd Boot Device Disabled (but had same choices as above)
    3rd Boot Device CD/DVD drive (had same choices as above)
    Boot Other Device (Yes/No) -- It originally said Yes but I changed it to No, thinking this was the network device--I didnt actually notice the BBS-O (network) Realtek Boot Agent until now.

6. The Hound

The Hound

Have you added (or removed) any hardware in the box lately? I don't see an option to boot to hard disk drive...Can you open the case and check the ribbon cable between the hard drive and motherboard?

We could also use more info on your system--make, model, vintage, number of drives..but especially any hardware you've changed-

7. Fetch_Man

Fetch_Man Thread Starter

No, I've had the same hardware since I built the PC 2 years ago. And it's worked perfectly fine until now.

It only has 1 hard drive..a Samsung 160 GB ATA i believe. But it has been working fine, and yes I've opened the case and there is a ribbon between the hard drive and the mother board.

I'm 99% sure the problem has to do with the wireless adapter...

8. The Hound

The Hound

No, I don't think the wireless adapter is part of this. The Realtek Gigabit Ethernet is a last boot option in BIOS when another boot device can't be found. Your BIOS is not recognizing your hard drive--it's not even listed as a boot device, if I understand what you've told me.

Try unplugging and reseating that ribbon cable we talked about earlier--both ends. Also do that with the power plug on the hard drive.

9. Fetch_Man

Fetch_Man Thread Starter

Okay I'll do that; in the meantime, can you tell me the order I should put the items in the boot sequence order?

10. Fetch_Man

Fetch_Man Thread Starter

Problem fixed! You're right, The Hound. It was the hard drive. I unplugged and reseated the ribbon cable and it worked fine. Thank you so much for all your help!

11. The Hound

The Hound

Glad it was the easy inexpensive option--my personal favorites. Please use the thread tools at the top right to mark this one solved...

>>Edit: HDD, CDROM for general purposes, but if you ever need to reinstall, CDROM then HDD.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice