1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP can't boot up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kuba.g, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kuba.g

kuba.g Thread Starter

Hello, I have windows XP pro. I installed ad-aware, but it got stuck so I had to reset the computer. After I've done that the computer doesn't want to start up anymore. It loads untill the logon screen, then it shows a blue screen for 2 secconds, so I can't read it. And then it restarts itself. Thesame by Safemode.

Any suggestions?

2. pjblevin

pjblevin

kuba: What do you mean when you say you "reset" the computer?

3. kuba.g

kuba.g Thread Starter

I mean restart, or reboot.
    I hope you can help me.

Kuba.

4. neosage

neosage

when your switch on ur pc, hit F8 repeatedly until you get the safe mode options. At the bottom one of the options is to 'boot up using last known good configuration'. Select that number and hit enter.

I'd suggest that you just leave adaware to do it's thing, sounds like you might have a considerable amount of spyware on ur system, especially if you haven't used adaware before, it was probably just trawling through the mountain of spyware it found when you interupted the process.

run spybot search & destroy afterwards too just to be on the safe side.

5. pjblevin

pjblevin

Kuba: If all else fails, and you still can't boot-up, do the following: From a functioning PC, go to the Microsoft website below & create a suite of 6 floppies. Run disc #1 and follow instructions. You'll be prompted to put you XP disc into the tray, and from there you'll be able to either do a "repair install" or a "clean install".

pjblevin

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...db-5039-4955-bcb7-4fed408ea73f&displaylang=en

6. kuba.g

kuba.g Thread Starter

No, I tried the 'boot up using last known good configuration' already. It doesn't work.
    I do have some computer knowleage, and I'm sure ad-aware was stuck. It's window was totally white and in the name it said "not responding" and the mouse didn't move.

My problem is that I have a laptop, that can only have either CD or Floppy. So I can't use pjblevin's method either. Is there a CD for this repair?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You should be able to boot from the XP CD---the floppies are not needed.

All you do is boot from the CD. When it asks if you want to repair and to press "R", don't. Continue with the installation just like you were installing for the first time.

You will then get a license agreement and it will ask you to press F8 to agree. Right after that screen, you will see a list of Windows installations that setup found. It will ask if you want to repair it. Read the directions on that page!!!

Then, you will actually press "R" this time and XP will re-install.

When done, you will be back to your familiar desktop with everything looking just like it did before. But all your Windows Updates are gone and you will need to get those again.

If you have any problems booting from CD, set the CD to boot earlier then the hard drive in BIOS setup, or come back for more help.

8. kuba.g

kuba.g Thread Starter

I have boot up from windowsCD. I pressed R and i go no agreement. Next I choose the windows instalation. Then I entered the admin password. Then I got a dos screen saing: C:\Windows :mad:
    What now?

9. kuba.g

kuba.g Thread Starter

From this Repair screen I have done a chkdsk /r it fixed something, but it didn't help my error.

10. pjblevin

pjblevin

Kuba: When you boot to the CD, you want to bypass the first repair option, and proceed to the next phase by pressing "enter". From there, you'll get a choice of doing a "repair install", or a "clean install". I just forget the terminology that Windows uses, but, in essence, the repair option resinstalls Windows, but you don't lose any of your files or programs. I've never had much luck doing this, but it has the advantage of giving you a chance to save your stuff. The "clean install" wipes out everything and installs Windows so that it's like it came from the factory (assuming no underlying problems).

pjblevin

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice