Windows XP can't find installation CD when running SFC /SCANNOW

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Luna Angel

Hi

I'm trying to run SFC /SCANNOW on Windows XP, and it's asked me to insert the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD. I've done this, but it doesn't seem to have found it. I can get to the disc on Explorer, but it can't find it on the scan, even if I put it in prior to starting it.

The CD drive is labelled X:/ (not the Windows default of D:/) - would this make a difference? It would be very difficult to change them around, even temporarily, as D:/ has all my system files on.

leroys1000

Banned
That window kept popping up on one of my computers and
I had to keep hitting enter until sfc completed.
Might try that a few times and see if the progress bar moves.

The CD drive is labelled X:/ (not the Windows default of D:/) - would this make a difference?
Yes assign the original drive letter to the cd drive, whatever it was when windows was installed.

sfc /scannow will ask for the disk every time it needs to rewrite a file. If you have several corrupted files, it will ask for the disk for each one.

There's no need to change the drive letter. If the drive has been working, then Windows knows what drive letter it is.

There's no need to change the drive letter. If the drive has been working, then Windows knows what drive letter it is.
Not so, SFC looks in the registry for the source path, which is normally D:\

Use regedit to:
Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

On the right hand side change the "SourcePath" to X:\

now SFC will find the CD

Welcome to TSG!

Also make sure it's actually an SP2 disk. Check the root of the CD, you should see this file:
WIN51IP.SP2

If you don't see the SP2 extension, or it shows SP1, that disk won't work.

HTH

Merry Christmas!

Jerry

Use regedit to:

now SFC will find the CD
My CD drive is drive H:, although Windows was installed from drive E:. SFC has had no problem finding the CD for me without any registry editing whatsoever.

But it will ask for the CD every time it has to rewrite a file; that behavior has been consistant on every PC I've run it on.

Use regedit to:

now SFC will find the CD
You are right on Mumbodog , I did almost the same on my pc except I put the i386 from the windows cd to my second hard drive. Then used that drive instead of the CD as the path . Only difference is mine had to be changed in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
my other PC has the path at
so I guess you have to be careful and back up the registry befor doing anything

"except I put the i386 from the windows cd to my second hard drive"

That way it does not ask for the CD anymore!

"except I put the i386 from the windows cd to my second hard drive"

That way it does not ask for the CD anymore!
it did until I changed it the way you described in your post above. Had to make it look for the i386 on the HD and not the CD

The only drawback to having System File Checker looking at the hard drive instead of the CD is that the hard drive can become corrupted (which is why you run sfc in the first place), and the CD (with proper care and storage) cannot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online