1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP can't "see" my new 5TB external HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luckylavs, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luckylavs

luckylavs Thread Starter

I just bought a new Seagate 5TB external hard drive from Amazon:

Seagate Expansion 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEB5000100)

But I have an old computer which only has USB 1.0 ports. Previously, I had been told that USB 3.0 can "work" in a USB 1.0 port, it just will operate at the slower USB 1.0 speeds. The box/manual says that this hard drive will work with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, but says absolutely nothing about whether the hard drive will work in a USB 1.0 port. I asked other customers on Amazon, and they told me this hard drive "should" work on USB 1.0.

On my machine, in "My Computer" -- it just doesn't see my new hard drive. I tested the hard drive on another laptop (which has Windows 8/USB 3.0) and the hard drive was fine -- visible and accessible. But on my own machine, in "My Computer" -- it's not there.

What is odd, however, is under the "Safely Remove Hardware" Icon, it lists: "Seagate USB Expension Desk" (that's the hard drive!) And when I click "Properties" it says that this device is functioning properly.

So it sees it for "Safely Remove Hardware", just not for "My Computer."

Thought it was the system just failing to assign it a drive letter, but I don't even see the hard drive under Computer Management either...

NOTE: There's no special disk/drivers that need to be installed to operate this hard drive. Apparently you just plug it in, and it should work...

Does anyone know how to get my hard drive recognized by my computer?

Here's my specs (FYI -- the C and D drives are just partitions of the internal HD, the external is not listed)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 49999 MB, Free - 7618 MB; D: Total - 665395 MB, Free - 44445 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5N32-E SLI
    Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    ASUS P5N32-E SLI motherboard
    It has 4 - USB 2.0 ports on the rear panel which are backwards-compatible with USB 1.1 devices.

Which BIOS version is installed for that motherboard?
    Version 0802, which was released on or about March 2007, provides enhanced compatibility for hard drives.
    Successive versions provide additional enhancements and fixes.
    Version 1903, which was released on or about December 2009, is the most current version.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  3. luckylavs

luckylavs Thread Starter

Ahhh so I was wrong about that port being a USB 1 port, the new hard drive is actually plugged into USB 2.0 port that is on the motherboard. The hard drive manual says it works with USB 2.0, so really USB is not the issue... just a red herring.

Think my BIOS need to be updated?

When I go into system information, under the category: "BIOS version/date," it says:

Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N32E- SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 0704, 1/26/2007

That's looks to be even older than the March 2007 version you mentioned.

Could that be the issue?

4. valis

valis Moderator

I'll defer to flavallee on all things XP, but I'm pretty sure XP has a 2TB limit on any drive, external or not.

metallica5456 likes this.
  5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for bringing that up, T.
    I knew there was a size limit in Windows XP, but I don't remember what it is.
    I've never used larger than a 750 GB capacity hard drive with Windows XP.
    I don't know for sure if updating to the most current BIOS version will allow that external hard drive to be detected.
    As long as you know how to update the BIOS without winding up with a non-working computer, it won't hurt to try.
    I'm guessing that it'll recognize that external hard drive, but only up to the size limit that Windows XP allows.
    What do you think, T?

------------------------------------------------------------

6. valis

valis Moderator

oddly enough, before I posted I did double check it; when one looks like a fool as frequently as I do, that becomes second nature. ;)

This is from technet itself;

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    2TB is the limit on XP.

I found this
    Looks like we were reading the same article. :LOL:

valis likes this.
  8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The problem he appears to be having is that external 5 TB hard drive not being recognized at all, so I'm wondering if updating the BIOS will resolve that issue.
    There were several BIOS updates for that computer which address several issues, including the hard drive.

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. valis

valis Moderator

I believe the term is something along the lines of 'great minds'........;)

10. valis

valis Moderator

That I do not know; my guess would be it would not, as it is a fault in the OS, and not in BIOS.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Okay. I'll leave to you 2 "great minds" ;) from here.

I need to go run some errands.

-------------------------------------------------------------

valis likes this.
  12. valis

valis Moderator

lol.....:D

13. luckylavs

luckylavs Thread Starter

I have since updated the BIOS to the latest version (1903), but even with the update, the hard drive still isn't being recognized. Tried rebooting the machine... still no luck.

Right now, the blue LED on the hard drive is flashing on and off.

Should I just return the hard drive at this point? I have understood you to mean that a 5 TB hard drive needs to be in GPT format -- but since Windows XP doesn't have support for GPT format.. there's just no way this thing is going to work.

Is that basically correct?

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You said that hard drive is detected and accessible in your Windows 8 laptop, so there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it.

Have you tried that hard drive in a different USB port in that Windows XP desktop?
    Have you tried some other USB device in its USB ports to make sure they're not defective?

--------------------------------------------------------------

15. luckylavs

luckylavs Thread Starter

Yes, my 4 USB ports all seem to work. When I plug in the new external hard drive in a different USB port, I get the exact same behavior -- can't see the drive it in "My computer" or in disk management, but I can see it in "Safely Remove Hardware". Meanwhile the first USB port functions properly when a completely different USB device is plugged in there... So I don't suspect USB is the problem here.

I'm thinking it's the 2 TB limit that was mentioned earlier....
    but I don't know how to get around that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1161423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice