Windows XP CD burner

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Samie

I've recently had to reinstall my HP printer/scanner/fax...using the HP techs for help, because I couldn't get it to install for me. They had me jumping all over this computer doing things I didn't have a clue what they were. They also had me puchase a4 port self powered USB cable to help with the installation....now I can't get my CD burner to write info to a CD. I can download it, but when I try to write to it I get a message that says I need to put a CD in, when I already have. I tried taking the CD out and opening and shutting the drive, but get the same message. I also now don't get the pop up wizards without having to go to the drive and manually open the wizard...does anyone have a clue what I've done..and can you help me fix it????
Thanks for your patience!:(

Styxx

Banned
It sounds as if you're trying to use CD-RW disks (as opposed to One-Time CD-R Disks that are already formatted) unformatted and the Burner software doesn't recognise the unformatted CD as a disk. Two other less likely variables are that the Burner software is corrupted or the drive itself has gone bad, if you're using a CD-R disk and the Burner driver still isn't recognising the disk as a disk.

Samie

I'm using a CD-R disc...the same ones I've been using and that worked before. Would the USB port have anything to do with my problem....like I said, Im a rank beginner, so it's no beyond me to make a really stupid mistake and not realize it. I know the burner was working before all the reinstalling of the printer and the new USB port, so I keep going back to those two issues being the problem.

Styxx

Banned
This will help determine if the drive is bad. If you do this twice and the CDRW still doesn't properly detect a CD in the drive, it may actually be the drive itself.

I doubt very much it was you. If anything it would be the technical support personel you relied on.I stongly recommend you do the below and not concern yourself with the USB Add-on.

Go into Safe Mode - (tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number five (5) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted);

Right click My Computer; Point to Properties; Click the Device Manager tab; Click the plus sign beside CDROM; Highlight each device inside CDROM, each in turn, and click the Add/Remove button until no main CDROM entry is present.

Repeat with each device below that, Display Adapters etc. (see exceptions below), removing all entries inside a main heading. If duplicates are present remove all those entries inside a main heading.

Do Not bother Hard Disk Controllers, System Devices, and USB controllers.

Restart via the Start button and Windows will redetect, refresh and only replace those devices needed. There is no use for 2 keyboards, CDROM etc. as those duplicates cause some of the errors you describe.

If you are using a HP or Compaq computer you can always use the Recover/Restore CD(s) to format your HDD clean and install all the software the way the computer came from the store. That would erase all your current data. So you'd need to backup all your Sensitive Data (Internet Explorer Favorites; Netscape Bookmarks, Address Book and Netscape Mail Folders; Outlook Express Address Books and Folders (compress any Netscape Mail or Outlook Express folders first) letters, pictures, databases, spreadsheets, music, etc.) to removable media for restoring later.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online