1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP-CD burning

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cicine, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a problem copying data on a rewritable CD with Windows XP.
    I copy the data to be burned to the temporary space on the CD-Rewriter drive and this is ok, the data is then displayed in the window.
    I then put the blank rewritable CD in the CD-rewriter drive, select the files and click on "Write these files to CD". So then the CD burning wizard comes up, asks me to name the CD, which I do, I click Next and I get "There is no CD in the drive. Please insert a rewritable CD in the drive" which I have done!

I have also tried to open the blank rewritable CD from the CD-drive, but same thing, it asks me to insert a CD in the drive whereas the CD is already in there.
    I thought maybe the CD was corrupt, so I tried another one and same thing happened.
    Somehow it's not seeing that there is a CD in the drive.
    I went into the CD-rewriter drive properties to see if I could see anything that related to the problem, but I couldn't.
    Please can you help, I work in IT and can usually fix problems quite easily, but this has given me a headache and I am not used to Windows XP.

Thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is this a cd-rw? If so i believe you need to format it before xp can write to it. I personally have never used the built it burning features of xp. It's best to use something like Roxio or Nero or whichever one came with your drive. These programs offer more features and support newer drives as well.

3. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

Hello,

Yes it is a CD-rewriter.
    It's not for my PC, but someone else's and the person said she did not have any software that came with the CD-rewriter.
    Can I get Nero or Roxio free on the Net somewhere?

Thanks

4. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

Also the CDs I was using are rewritable CDs, not CD-Rs.

5. Emtronics

Emtronics

The CD's you need to use are CD/R's If you use a CD/RW, then you need to format it first with a program such as InCD. You can get a DEMO copy of Nero HERE Then you can buy it there also.

6. Dan O

Dan O

Windows XP comes with a subset of Roxio's EZ CD. If you install a a full version of it or another third party product it normally breaks the XP built-in. Generally you should only install one CD burning software. I have been impressed how well the XP CD burning works. As Emtronics has indicated it does not have all the bells and whistles as a full version has.

To format or erase files on a CD-RW

Open My Computer.

Double-click the CD recording drive. Windows displays the files and folders located on the CD.

Under CD Writing Tasks, click Format or Erase this CD-RW. Windows displays the CD Writing Wizard.

7. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

Hi,

To Emtronics: Are you sure about this? I would expect the rewritable CDs to be ready for use.

To Dan O: I had been through this a hundred times.
    Under CD writing tasks, I had "delete temporary files" and "write these files to CD."

The whole problem is that after clicking on "write these files to CD", the wizard does come up, I click Next after naming the CD and then it says that there is no disc in the drive. That's the problem.
    Does the demo copy of Nero do the job to copy files?

Thanks

8. Dan O

Dan O

New CD-RW are not generally pre-formatted, I have never seen one. If your XP CD-burning is damaged as you described fixing it is very difficult. I would go with Nero, and yes it can do the job of copying files.

9. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

Hi,

I don't know if it's damaged, that's what I'm trying to figure out.
    If you say that CD-RW have to be formatted prior to being used, then that's probably the problem...

Does it tell you anywhere that they have to be formatted before being used?

Thanks

10. Dan O

Dan O

Cicine,

To be trueful I have switched to CD-R because they are so cheap and ready to use, and I had not tried a CD-RW with XP. For you I did a test and XP surprised me again how intelligent and easy it is to use.

I opened My Computer selected a few files, right clicked selected Send To, CD burner, and inserted a fresh CD-RW disk into the CD burner. Then I selected the CD burner using MY Computer, and selected Write These files to CD. XP recognized that the CD-RW was not formatted and displayed the message:

Performing the final steps to make the CDready for use...

Then I selected finish.

WOW XP, it was automatic.

With 98 SE you had to use a third party product such as EZ CD and manually select Format before using it.

I should have tested it before. Here's a link to a MS article that should help: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129

11. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

Dan O,

The first thing I did was to go on the Microsoft website to troubleshoot this problem and I did... none of the suggestions from Microsoft actually worked.
    Everything is fine, all the settings are as they should be but it still doesn't work.
    See when I put a CD-RW in the drive and try to copy the files to the CD, it doesn't format it for me like it does for you, all it says is there is no disc in the drive.

Contrary to you, Windows XP CD-burning feature I think is useless, there is little help and little information about it in the Windows XP in-built help.

Most people I have spoken to about this said it was rubbish and should not be trusted, everyone advised to use a third-party software which I think is ridiculous when you look at how expensive XP is.

12. Dan O

Dan O

Cicine,

I agree with you. The problem may be a compatibility problem. Some CD burners work better with some PCs using XP CD burning. I have many PCs and XP CD burning works on all of them. At work we have thousands of PCs using only XP CD burning reliability.

Compatibility problems can some times be overridden using different software. I have heard Nero is one of the best and they allow you to try it for free. You may want to try it, see: www.nero.com

13. cooter-scooter

cooter-scooter

Hiya
    sorry to butt in guys, but i had a similar problem when i first bought my pc with xp home pre-installed. I stuck a cdr in and did the burning (tried to) through xp. Twice it failed to see a disk in the drive, when i changed disks it found the next one but turned it into a beer-mat. I tried a cdrw but it wouldn't have it. I had no other burning software so i searched the net and found that only a certain few cdrw drives will work the in-built xp cdwriting functions. I did find a list of compatable drives (sorry i can't remember where) and mine, an LG 32Xburnproof wasn't on the list. I bought Nero as I had used it before and (touch wood) after 30 odd cdr burns, no problems at all. Also have six cdrw disks of three different manufacturers and have written to all with nero with no problems at all.
    My advice.
    Get nero and turn off xp's cdwriting function.

Chris

tech support guy is the best.
    stick with it.

14. amthmi

amthmi

15. Emtronics

Emtronics

Scarey. A manufacture sells you a computer with a cd burner and gives you no software for burning and the thing doesn't work with XP's Roxio. Geez.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice