1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp: cd drives dont work anymore!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by schugeorge, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schugeorge

schugeorge Thread Starter

i recently discovered that my cd and cdrw drive no longer work. i went through some basic troubleshooting i.e. uninstalled and reinstalled both drives and there drivers( i also physically disconnected and reconnected them both, still same messages), tried upgrading drivers. even plugged my cd drive into secondary plug on the "ribbon" my hard drive is on. still get the following messages:Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) also, after reinstalling them I get: there was a problem installing your hardware it may not work properly...does anyone have any more suggestions........p.s. when i disonnected and reconnected them to the motherboard, windows does see them and tries to install them.

2. dtpollock

dtpollock

First Name:
    Duncan
    Hi Schugeorge

You've probably answered your own question there. It could very well be the drivers. However, in saying that, I always make it a rule to put my Harddrives on Primary master and slave, and my cd-rw and dvd rom drives on Secondary master and slave. That way, if both the cd-rw drive and dvd rom drive fail at the same time (which has never happened yet...touch wood), it can only be one of two things....either the cable, or the controller.

Of course, in your case, that would depend on what your drives are (e.g SATA or PATA)

Good luck, and please keep us posted

3. norton850

norton850

4. schugeorge

Im still getting the same message, i tried new cable. tried plugging cd drive into same cable as hd, again windows sees it, tries to install it, but get the same message. in device manager i see the cd with a yellow exclamation mark, when i click on properties, it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39). I get this w/both cd and cdrw, even when on the same "cable" or slot as hd, yet hd is fine. Im totally confused.......PLEASE HELP...do i need a new moboard?? are cd and rw drive both "bad" do i need to replace them? i find it strange that they both stopped working at the same time. and now neither works no matter where i plug them in..ps i get power lights on when they are pluggd to the power supply...

5. norton850

norton850

Can't tell from your post did you delete the filters or use JohnWill's fix?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Which actually just deletes the filters, it's just easier than navigating through the registry with REGEDIT. :)

7. schugeorge

I dont understand when you ask me about deleting filters (the only thing i deleted was, in device manager I r clicked on properties for my cd and cdrw drive and selected delete, windows then showed that neither was present and then i tried to re install both but I still got the messages...also,what is JohnWill's fix???

8. JohnWill

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with the following stuff in it exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- cut after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
    ------------------------------ cut before this line --------------------------------

9. schugeorge

okay, dont know exactly how to create a text file...

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Paste the text into notepad [or any text editor] save it as John posted ie with a .reg and you are good to go.

11. mark790

mark790

I had the same problem and eventually was surprised to find that upgrading from Windows Media Player 9 to WMP 10 actually caused my CD drive to stop recognising some if not all discs. After a full system restore (which put me back to WMP9 as the PC is a couple of years old) my CD drive worked perfectly but after installing updates in media player to version 10 the problem imediately reoccurred (I did it twice to be sure) and this was the case on two different CD drives as i had bought a new one thinking the original was the problem.

12. JohnWill

Many applications that have CD support tend to "muck" with the filters settings and screw up CD capability.

13. schugeorge

i followed both suggestions, the fixcd.reg and the wm 9 one. neither seem to work.....I replaced the motherboard (not only because of this problem) and still get the messages. after i merge the fixcd.reg into the registry should i do anything else?? arghhhhh!!:confused:

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have swapped boards, unless the new one is the same as the old one I would do a clean install of the os.

15. schugeorge

john or mark, there both working now, thankyou so much for the help, dont know which suggestion worked because i did both. thanx too everyone else who took the time to respond..ever have any plumbing issues feel free to email me or whatever.....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/441627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice