1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows xp cd error loading operating system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by booey1, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. booey1

booey1 Thread Starter

So I have just bought a secondhand Q6600 and Foxconn MCP73M04 Socket 775 Motherboard with 2gb ram from ebay.

It posts and seems to work fine, but when I try and install xp from the CD i get this error:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326676

What can I do? Is the mobo faulty? Do I need to change something in the bios?

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

i followed the link you osted and it had several options to fix your error. have you tried these? if not, i would suggest you try them, then post back if you still need assistance, or if you have already tried them.

3. booey1

booey1 Thread Starter

I could not find a new version of the bios and I've been previously told only to flash the bios as a last resort...

4. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

honestly, it sounds like you may have compatibility issues with the new motherboard. you may want to try to use linux (free downloads everywhere) just to see if you can get anything on it to work. you don't need to install, just boot with the cd in and run it live (most versions, like ubuntu). that will tell you if everything is working or not. if you can't run it live, i would lean toward faulty hardware.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The error can also occur if you are installing XP on a SATA drive. You need to do one of two things: set the SATA mode in the BIOS to IDE emulation before you start the setup, or install SATA drivers during the setup where it asks you to press F6.

6. booey1

booey1 Thread Starter

It's IDE. I'll see if I can get a copy of ubuntu... Thanks :)

7. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

thanx for the tip frank4d, i went right by that one.

8. booey1

booey1 Thread Starter

Okay ubuntu seems to work, but the screen does go black for 1 sec every 7 sec. What should I do now? Can I install some new mother board drivers or something? The motherboard is a Packard Bell x9600 ixtreme bv mcp 73. CPU is q6600.

9. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

sounds like the video card or drivers. i'm not too familiar with ubuntu, but if you have it up, you can find some assistance in the linux section. post a link to this thread in the post you open there. on a sidenote, i would definitely recommend ubuntu over win xp. unless you just can't get away from windows, but remember, open office can interact with ms office.

10. booey1

booey1 Thread Starter

Thanks, but it's for games, so xp is the most useful :)

11. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

in that case, i would definitely check for new video drivers, sounds like the main issue here. you know the motherboard is working, otherwise nothing would install. it may be a setting in the bios affecting it, or it could be hardware related, maybe a loose connection somewhere?

12. booey1

booey1 Thread Starter

Okay, so tried taking out the HDD and installing xp using another computer, all worked okay, but once I put it back in the q6600 same error: "error loading operating system"

13. booey1

booey1 Thread Starter

It's not the black screen in ubuntu that I'm worried about, it's the "error loading operating system" when I try and run/install xp.

The gpu is a separate 7600gs, so there wouldn't be a link between that an the windows xp problem would there? I'll try and sort the drivers once I can load xp.

14. booey1

booey1 Thread Starter

Okay have run memtest 'Pass complete no errors'

15. booey1

booey1 Thread Starter

Yikes, now after running memtest I have restarted and there is no gpu output! Just tried 2 screens and a different card. CPU, GPU, PSU fans all running, hdd running. Can't tell if it is posting as there is no speaker connection. This is becoming a real nightmare. Any idea what could have caused that? Obviously I am being careful about static and double checking connections...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice