Windows XP client cannot open programs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jibldeedoo

Hi, I'm new here, so please be gentle.

I have set up a network using Samba 3 on Linux to serve some files and control the domain. This system is not connected to the internet. I am running about 12 clients, including two Windows 2000 Servers that are serving files and applications to three of the clients, all on a separate domain, but on the same sublan (I don't think this is related to the problem).

Sporadically, we cannot launch new programs or open program files (Word, Excel etc) by double clicking on desktop icons, or by right-clicking and selecting the bolded "Open" menu item. I tried using control panel to look at event logs, but the control panel items either do nothing, or give an error message. I didin't write down the error message, but he jist of it was "Cannot execute <whatever>, permissions, file, or <something else> missing." The "My Computer" explorer windows that were open worked for network and USB drives, but not for C:\. Open documents worked fine as well, although I did not try to save them; they were from the network drive anyway. I was still able to use the start menu, and I opened the command prompt and could execute any dos commands ok. I could use dir, net, ipconfig etc. I could list directory on my served drives as well as C:. I never tried launching word or excel or opening files for them from the command prompt, or from the open explorer windows (my bad, I was just so destracted from the problem).

Logging off then on again does not resolve the problem, only a reboot solves the problem. I've had it once on my computer, and my other sysadmin has seen it a couple of times. I have not seen any errors in the event logger. I went into WMI and turned on verbose logging until it happens again.

I did notice that after the restart, the default login information was not for the domain, but rather for the local PC; does this mean that the last login was to the local computer? That would not be the case, as I would not have had access to the domain drives etc.. Is it possible the login info switched in mid session?

Next time it happens, I can try some of the things I didn't try last time, and maybe gather more info. In the mean time, any suggestions?

Thanks,
jib

So basically, you're using one of the servers as an app. server? Or is your concern access to files?

jibldeedoo

It is an application server, but just the application files, the app itself is not a client/server applicatoin. I think the concern is access to files, but not sure why local files (control panel stuff, C drive and files on it etc.) would be affected by remote file access issues. Clear as mud?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online