1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Command Shell

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by granogue, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. granogue

granogue Thread Starter

I want to become familiar with Windows Xp's Command Shell, but I don't really understand why it's even needed in the age of modern computers with GUI's. Can someone give me a couple of examples where the Command Shell is an essential utility?

I would appreciate it.

Tx!

2. VAComputerSvcs

VAComputerSvcs

Most users wouldn't have a need for it. Network administrators definitely enjoy the use of a terminal-like program that they can feed commands through.

Useful Command Line commands:
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushdns
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    ping
    tracert
    telnet

... plenty of other commands too. The command line is a valuable resource for admins and power users.

3. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

For end users, most people don't use it past the occasional ping.

But imagine you're a network admin in charge of 200 computers. Is it easier to add a user by going through all the GUI for each of the 200 computers, or use a CLI with a for loop to add each one?

4. granogue

granogue Thread Starter

Thanks for both your replies. Are there any examples of the Command Shell coming in handy for tasks other than network stuff?

5. rolandk10

rolandk10

Sure. I use it when writing batch files to test or debug lines in my scripts.

For instance if I want to write a back up script, I could type

xcopy c:\"backup folder" d:\"backup" /s /e /c /d

But when you run the batch file, if there is an error, it's hard to tell because the CLI window closes right away. Typing it directly into the CLI leaves the window open so I can see what happened.

Also, to get a quick list of possible switches, you can type any command followed by /?

i.e.

xcopy /?

would bring up a list of all the switches...in the examlpe above, /s /e /c /d tells the pc to copy all sudirectories, including empty ones, continue on errors or prompts and only copy files that have a date newer than the version already in the back up location.

This is just one example of the many ways I use the command window in concert with notepad to create scripts.

6. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

Plenty. Say you wanted to get a list of files in that directory.

Code:
    dir /b > out.txt
    Say u wanted to check the integrity of system files:

Code:
    sfc /scannow
    I would google up "useful dos commands" or smth like that to get a better idea.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

The windows cmd prompt was trivial at best. Which is why they created the PowerShell.

8. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

Nonetheless, it's a good tool to have and to use, no matter whether you're a sysadmin or just a user.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice