Windows XP continuously restarting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bubby106

I was installing Windows updates the other day and due to time constraints, I wasn't able to let the updates finish installing. I turned my computer off with the power button while the updates were in the process of installing. Yes I know I should have waited a few seconds and used the normal shut down procedure, but whats done is done and I can't change that. Now whenever I turn my computer on, it begins to start up and every time it gets to the screen that says Windows XP it continuosly restarts itself. Have I possibly caused something in my computer to be damaged or become corrupted, etc? What can possibly be done to fix this problem?

i had a similar problem once, it was caused by one of my ram sticks coming out a little somehow of all things, try jiggling your ram a little and see if that helps. i know it seems unlikely, but you'd be surprised.

Bubby106

Thanks for the help. Where in the computer are these ram sticks located?

assuming this is a desktop computer, next to the cpu fan (large fan on the motherboard) there should be a number of long slots, some or all of which will have a stick of ram in them, undo the clips at either end of the slots with ram in them, take out the ram and put back, one by one, and do up the clips again, then turn your computer back on and see how it goes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online