1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP crash because of unkown device driver

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shahriar5252, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shahriar5252

shahriar5252 Thread Starter

Every once in a while, my windows XP crashes. When the windows automatically restarts, the error messaging of Windows shows up and says, "The system has recovered from a serious error..." When I send the error report to Microsoft, the online crash analysis says that the crash was the result of a devise driver but that no further infortmation is available. Other than the factory installed programs and Micosoft Office 2003 (a fully licensed legitimate version) and the RealOne Player, I don't have anything else installed. I have never had any file-sharing programs installed. Sometimes, before the Windows restarts I see this blue screen that quickly goes away which also says that the system crashed because of something, but the blue screen goes away quickly and the Windows starts. How can I find out what the problem is. How can I find out which one of my device drivers is causing the repeated crashing of the Windows XP? I even went to the device manager, but none of the devices had their boxes opened, which means that they are operating correctly. My laptop is an HP pavillion ze5385us and I bought it two years ago. It has Windows XP SP-1 with all the usual updates. It has the Pentium 4 Processor at 2.66GHz. And this problem has been going on for more than a year now. Please help! :eek:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    goto
    control panel>
    system>
    advanced tab>
    startup and recovery - settings>
    under the title - system failure
    untick - automatically restart

now when it crashes the blue screen should stay on the screen
    post the info on the screen
    it will give the eroorcodes and a filename, if caused by a driver.

in the meantime
    you may want to try running a memeory test
    http://www.memtest86.com/

you may also find some info in the event viewer
    control panel>
    admin tools>
    event viewer>

3. rickler

rickler

undefined :confused:

4. rickler

rickler

pls. help.

5. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

This can be caused by a number of things. The error message has a title and event number that would help. To access this, go Start-->Run-->"eventvwr.msc"

Then look for the correseponding time that the error occurred. It will be represented by a small white "x" in a red circle and will be under the "system" branch of the list. If you can provide any further information as the content of the error log and the event ID (1004, 1005 etc) this would help greatly!

The site below will help you to interpret the error log event should you wish to try and investigate yourself: http://tinyurl.com/6qc5n

Here's a MS article that explains how to troubleshoot:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314084

If you're running Norton, Live update can cause all kinds of problems. There is suposed fix at the following link.

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/lu/lu.html

Additonally, this could be caused due to the fact that after a Minidump file is written, the paging file continues to have a flag set that indicates that a Minidump file must be written.

You can solve this problem by recreating the pagefile. To re-create the pagefile, follow these steps:

Click Start-->Right-click My Computer-->Properties.

On the Advanced tab in the Performance section click Settings.

In the Virtual Memory section, click Change.
    For Paging file size for selected drive, click No Paging File, and then click Set.
    Click Yes after the following warning appears:
    If the paging file on volume X: has an initial size of less than xx megabytes, then the system may not be able to create a debugging information file if a STOP error occurs. Continue anyway?

(X is the drive letter and xx is the amount of RAM installed on your computer minus 1 megabyte.
    Click System Managed Size.
    Click OK four times, and then restart the computer when you are prompted.

For an alternative to this procedure, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article: 255205 How to delete the Pagefile.sys file in Recovery Console

Best,

6. shahriar5252

Source: System Error
    Category: (102)
    Event ID: 1003

Description: Error code 0000000a, parameter1 fffffffc, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804fa344.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
    0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
    0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code

7. DavidV

DavidV

I have been having very similar problems: random restarts, no information from the Microsoft crash analysis except the ‘unknown driver’ possibility, same codes from the event viewer. I came across this thread while trying to diagnose the problem. I strongly recommend that you follow etaf’s advice to run a memory test. I used the one from Microsoft:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Notwithstanding all the instructions it’s very easy to use: download the file, run it, let it create a bootable floppy (assuming you have a floppy drive – otherwise you can create a CD), and then boot from A:. The test runs by itself and only takes a few minutes. If everything is fine, your problem is probably elsewhere. My desktop PC failed the tests comprehensively. I tried dusting off and reseating the two sticks of SDRAM (each 256 MB). Still no luck. I removed one to test the other – success! Fingers crossed, I've identified the problem: one bad chunk of memory. I’m now running on just the other and so far all seems fine.

Good luck (and thanks to the experts above for helping me out).

8. dai

dai

the first thing to do when it crashes is what was posted above in no.2
    this will give you the bsod error message that is easier to understand and could pinpoint it

9. shahriar5252

Thank you for you for your help. The problem was from my Conexant modem driver. I had downloaded an updated version of it a long time ago, and unfortunately, not all newly updated drivers are compatible with all models of computers, esp. HP Pavilion laptops. Occasionally, when Windows had resumed from Hibernation, the updated driver apparantly kept on loading and unloading the modem without canceling pending operations. In other words, without my telling Windows to turn on the Conexant modem,the modem's updated driver would unnecessarily turn on or off the modem. This was occasionally crashing my system. After reintalling the original driver, the problem was solved. I even found out why my computer was not going into StandBy mode: The modem was preventing it. As a rule of thumb, if your driver is working properly, don't update it, even if the update is from Microsoft Window's update serviece, the manufacturer of the device driver, or even the manufacturer of the computer.

Here are the details of the problem as I reported it on a later thread in the forum:

Sometimes, my Windows XP crashes for mysterious reasons. Then, when Windows automatically restarts, the error report of Windows shows up and says, “The system has recovered from a serious error...” When I send the error report to Microsoft, the online crash analysis says that “the crash was the result of a devise driver but that no further information is available.” Other than the factory installed programs and Microsoft Office 2003 (a fully licensed legitimate version) and the RealOne Player, I don't have anything else installed. I have never had any file-sharing programs installed. Additionally, before the Windows restarts I see this blue screen which says that the system crashed. How can I find out which one of my device drivers is causing the repeated crashing of the Windows XP? I even went to the device manager, but none of the devices had their boxes opened, which means that they are operating correctly. I also ran Window Memory Diagnostic test from Microsoft repeatedly (http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp), and the tests did not detect any problems. My laptop is an HP pavilion ze5385us and I bought it more than a year ago. It has Windows XP SP-1 with all the usual updates. It has the Pentium 4 Processor at 2.66GHz. And this problem has been going on for several months. Please help!

The blue error screen displays this message:
    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file: strmdisp.sys

Driver_unloaded_without_cancelling-pending_operations

If this is the first time you have seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
    Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
    *** Stop: 0X000000CE (0XF78D7A36, 0X00000000, 0XF78D7A36, 0X00000000)
    strmdisp.sys

Information from Event Viwer:
    Source: System Error
    Category: (102)
    Event ID: 1003

Description: Error code 0000000a, parameter1 fffffffc, parameter2 00000002,
    parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804fa344.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
    0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
    0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/265703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice