1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Crash Logs

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Lungah13, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lungah13

Lungah13 Thread Starter

Hello all, Anyone have any idea on where windows XP keeps a crash log of reboots? I have looked in event viewer applications, but that only seems to have everything before the reboot. Any information would help.

Thank you in advance.

2. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

4. Lungah13

Lungah13 Thread Starter

Ok I figured out how to open the mini dump files, but cant make heads or tails out of the text. I did however run my comp in verifier mode and would blue screen about 30 secs after windows load everytime. So now I have alot of mini dump files, but I cant really understand what I am looking at. So if any of you would care to look and tell me what you see I would greatly appreciate it thank you very much. Oh also before I forget how do I forget how do I post the minidump files say on notepad or something. Only reason I ask, doesn't seem to let me copy and paste from cmd. thanx again

5. valis

valis Moderator

can you zip them and attach them to your next post? A few of us here have windows debugger and have a vague inkling of how to use it; only Rog knows the truth behind those, however. :)

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

go to C:\Windows\Minidump
    Copy the .dmp files in there and zip them up, attach the zip file in your next post using the "Go Advanced" button, then click the paper clip icon to browse and attach the zip, then hit the upload button.

7. Lungah13

Lungah13 Thread Starter

Hope I did it correctly. Not use to sending information out

Attached Files:

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

All 6 dumps show:

Probably caused by : mfehidk.sys ( McAfee software)

Uninstall McAfee and use Microsoft Security Essentials, Free and very good.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

You Must uninstall McAfee before installing any other Security Software.

9. Lungah13

Lungah13 Thread Starter

Ok I have unistalled McaFee using Revo Uninstaller, but the only thing was after stage 3 of revo. Using the programs own unistall before it fully cleans out the registry and whatnot my comp reset after I told it not to. So my question is any way I can make revo unistaller look for the rest of mcafee left over files to get rid of them.

Also I run symantec endpoint protection. So do I need to download another anti virus program and if yes should I also delete that one.

Last part is why I started all this my comp would just randomly restart from time to time with 923 and 927 non fatal errors. This is why I wanted to see the minidump files, but it didnt seem to save those restarts for some odd reason. Could the McAfee of been the cause all along?

Thank you again for all the help :)

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Use the McAfee MCPR.exe tool to clean up

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Looks like you had 2 AV softwares installed, you can't have that without serious issues, since you removed McAfee, it should stop the BSODs.

The Symantec Endpoint Protection is AV and Firewall software, be sure your licence is current and the program is doing its automatic updates. If the license has expired, uninstall it and use Microsoft Security Essentials.

I personally don't like any Symantec products.

11. Lungah13

Lungah13 Thread Starter

Ok ran the program you linked from McAfee. Thank you for that. and symantec is still running and 100% up to date, So just gonna stick with it for now and if it seems like it doesnt work well or gives me trouble ill just dump it for the one you posted.

Only thing im curious about is will this fix the 923 and 927 non fatal errors I was having. I hope so I guess only time will tell.

Thank you again for all your help and patience.:)

12. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You are welcome

13. valis

valis Moderator

nice catch, mumbo...........(y)

14. Lungah13

Lungah13 Thread Starter

Ok my comp still had the original reset problem Ive been having on and off :(

Once again no minidump file was made. The thing that is strange about this is it doesnt blue screen it just resets immediately, so I press a button during boot up and this is the info I get about the crash.

927- Non Fatal error on Front side Bus 0
    F7Err: Detected MCERR from processor

923-Non Fatal uncorrectable PCI error on PCI-E Slot 2
    I06: completion timed out

Any ideas on this :confused:

Once again thank you in advance.

15. valis

valis Moderator

you have an nvidia card? May want to check those drivers as well........that's from the first minidump........

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice