1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hanson, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hanson

Hanson Thread Starter

Hey guys...I'm a little stressed. I turned my computer on last night and Windows wouldn't boot up. I got a DOS message which told me "system32/hall.dl" was either missing or corrupt. So with my buddy's Windows XP Home Boot cd (cant find mine) I tried the System Recovery Console--this is after I tried to boot from Safe Mode and everything else that goes along with pressing the F8 key. In the Recovery Console, I pressed R and eventually got to the prompt command screen. Throughout the night I continuously tried CHKDSK but it would only get between 30-50% complete and then freeze up.

I tried a few times today and it still stops at 51%. Strange thing is...today I'm not geting the "system32/hall.dl" anymore. Now I'm getting this "WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" missing or corrupt message. I got this advice on another message board pertaining to the same problem...

md tmp
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Problem is...when I type "md tmp" in the command prompt it says "Access is denied"

If anyone has any advice you'd make my year. Unfortunately I have nothing backed-up so this is a lesson learned. Thanks guys.

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

5. Hanson

Hanson Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick responses, guys. I read and tried all the techniques from each article and unfortunately nothing's working. The computer either says "Access denied" or "Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. Its discouraging as hell too. Quick question--What would you guys do if you had lost your Windows XP cd? The obvious answer would probably be to go out and buy a new one. But before I take that $120 step I just want to field some suggestions, if there are any. Thanks again.

6. Dan O

Dan O

You could borrow one from a friend to repair Windows.

7. Hanson

Hanson Thread Starter

I'm using my buddy's cd to access the Restore Console. In one of the previous articles in this thread there were instructions to go to Windows Setup and press ENTER. However, when I did that there was no option to repair. My options were to "Install", "Exit", and something else.

8. Dan O

Dan O

XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
    2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
    3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
    4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
    5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
    6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice