Windows XP Crashes on Startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brucern

I'm getting a windows xp crash when starting windows. There's a lot of text on the crash screen but it reboots before I have a chance to read it. I had edited the msconfig file to prevent some programs from loading before it started doing this so I suspect this is the cause. I can't get into the Safe Mode menu either by pressing any F keys during the startup. I have an Asus AM2 M2N-MX MoBo with 2 GB RAM running an AMD 3800+ 2.4 GHz CPU. I've gone to their website and checked the manual and can't find any info on these matters. I can't find in the BIOS where to shutoff the auto reboot so I can read the crash screen either. Can anyone advise?

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings, System, Failure, uncheck "automatically restart".

brucern

Ok I would right click 'My Computer" and change auto restart if I could but I can't get into windows to do that. I haven't tried the windows install CD but in the past when I've done that it either made things worse meaning I had to completely do a new install to fix it or it didn't even recognize a windows install. I just can't figure out why it won't let me into the Safe mode menu. It crashes right after the mouse point comes up and I hear the click of the monitor just before the desktop should show up. I wish I could read the crash screen to get a clue as to what is crashing it but it reboots right away. If I could just keep that crash screen up a while...........

brucern

Ok I finally got into the Safe Mode menu whew! I don't know what did it but I might've hit the F8 key just at the right time. I was pressing it constantly before too tho. Anyway, I did a system restore back a few days and now it came up fine before my changes. Funny. An installation I did must've fouled things up a bit. Will set my windows to not automatically reboot.

To get into safe mode, you tap F8 after pressing power button until you get the screen you are looking for, not pressing it constantly, unless I am misunderstanding your meaning here. In any case glad you got it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online