1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Critical Updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Stksr4, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stksr4

Stksr4 Thread Starter

undefined
    Recently installed the Service Pack 1 for Windows XP at home - while it was downloading, got a message about a bad System 32 file (virus) - was told that the file had been cleaned and it finished the download. After that, my computer just got strange. Ended up having to do a non-destructive restore. Now there is a notice about a "critical" update, use Service Pack 2. Personally, I don't want to touch another update, ever. Is this something I really should do? How "critical" is it, really? Any help you can give would be appreciated. :confused:

2. crazydag

crazydag Guest

heres what i would do.......
    i would first run a scan to see if the virus is gone
    then i would re- install xp as an upgrade(option) so as to not screw up all your programs
    then whene thats done i go to explorer / tools/ win updates and download the critical ones

3. Nutter_9591

Nutter_9591

I believe you just got infected with the ms blaster worm.I would run a virus scan to be sure. I got it too when I installed XP. Couldn't run Windows Update and PC get shutting down for no reason. I ran Norton Anti Virus and sure as heck there it was. However you have to download the ms blaster removal tool, Norton can't remove it.

4. Stksr4

Stksr4 Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. I'll run a virus scan and see what happens. Since I've done my non-destructive restore, I just about have everything back to normal, but sure don't want to go through that again if I don't have to. Do I get the ms blaster removal tool from the ms web site?

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    type msblaster in the search and it will find it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice