Windows XP Disk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FatalError32

Can anybody possibly direct me to where I could find a downloadable copy of the Installer disk for Windows XP Home Edition. All my computers are XP Pro, so that's the only installer disks I have. I'm tryin to format and re-install XP Home Edition on a friend's computer but they've managed to lose their Installer Disk.

Just to clarify, I'm not asking for an illegal copy that contains a License, I have a valid/purchased license key stuck to the back of the computer, just no installer disk.

That key is no good without the disk that your mate lost Fatal.
Just get a new copy of XP or get on to MS and see if they can help.

DoubleHelix

Banned
There's no place to download Windows XP Home/Pro legally. Some people here have claimed to have success contacting Microsoft regarding similar issues, but I've never seen a phone number or specifics.

FatalError32

I'm not able to use a "generic" disk of any sort? I've re-installed XP Pro on a few machines this way. Do XP Home Edition disks not have the "global useability" like XP Pro disks?

Example:
At work we have XP Pro installer disks that are specifically for some Dells/IBMs we own, meaning they won't work on any other brand. Aside from those we have standard Windows XP Proffesional installer disks that work for almost any computer, if you have a Valid License Key.

I have the same "standard" type XP Pro installer disk at home and have re-installed Windows on 2 of my computers, with the same disk, but used their individual License Keys per computer. Everything worked fine.

I can't seem to find a "standard" XP Home Edition disk though to reinstall the OS

This may be dodgy ground here and I may be wandering around in the dark and totally wrong, but to me your second paragraph means that your company has a set amount of OEM disks and a set amount of what I would call stand alone disks, ie the non OEM disks have been purchased under a licence for x machines from MS:
I don't know actual prices or if this how the system works but I believe so.
Example 1: 1 Licence 1 pc $/£100
Example 2: 1 Licence 10 pc's $/£500

Your 3rd paragraph is open to interpretation and I'm not prepared to comment on it.
Lastly, surely you can buy a stand alone copy of XP from any computer shop, ie; PC World.
Wolfey

FatalError32

Thanks for your help Wolfeymole.

Yes, I was guessing I'd just have to obtain a new copy of the software. Another $80 down the drain.:( Am I able to just purchase the Installer Disk itself, or must I buy the whole package (Disk & License)?
I was hoping to get around that route, I'll give calling Microsoft a shot and see if they can possibly assist me in my endeavor before purchasing a new copy.

Wolfeymole said:
That key is no good without the disk that your mate lost Fatal.
Just get a new copy of XP or get on to MS and see if they can help.
Your Welcome Fatal

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online