WINDOWS XP displaying wrong Info

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vg19

Hi,

I have win XP pro. I have a 3.99 gig HD. wHEN i go to check how much space I have left on my comp, it says 342meg. But when I select all the folders in my C: and go to properties, it says that it is only a total of 1.91 gig. How come this is displaying the wrong information.

hmmmm, sorry, I don't even like my answer above.

go to the command prompt in xp

type dir /s

this will generate a list of every file on the computer, may take a bit. When it gets to the end it will give you a little more detail on used and free space

viewing folder properties for size is misleading to me, folders within folders tend to hide used space, etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online