1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp doesn't let me change password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Morwenna, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morwenna

Morwenna Thread Starter

This is NOT about hacking or overriding passwords

I have windows XP home edition.

A couple of days ago I changed my windows password and the system accepted the change but when I restarted the computer it kept saying pw was not valid even though I was sure it was the correct one.
    I went through a few manoeuvres to get by that problem, removed the password and reset it. Again, the computer kept saying the pw was not valid. I tried to set several passwords, always with the same result.
    My pw included lower and upper caps, numbers and special characters, I believe windows should accept those.

Finally I reset my old password, the one I used to have before trying to make the change, and with that one it's fine, it lets me in. So basically, my computer only lets me set up one particular password!:confused:

Anybody knows what the problem is?

Thank you for reading.

2. Morwenna

Morwenna Thread Starter

I realised that when I changed my pw for the last time I was in safe mode, so, to see what would happen, I reset it one more time in safe mode and it works.
    Basically, I cannot change it in normal mode, only in safe mode.

What can I do to be able to change passwords again in normal mode? (I don't want to have to get to safe mode all the time).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

3. Claymore

Claymore

Windows should accept upper/lower case letters, numbers and keyboard symbols. I'm wondering if this could be a keyboard issue, in that in Normal Mode login the keyboard isn't fully functional, e.g. the number keypad. Is this a specialty keyboard requiring it's own drivers? Have you tried - as a test - setting a password with just lowercase letters and see if it "takes"?

4. Morwenna

Morwenna Thread Starter

My keyboard doesn't require special drivers, at least not that I'm aware of.:(

To be honest I have tried so many pw combinations and variations yesterday that I can't remember if I tried an only lower case one in normal mode.

But if the keyboard isn't fully functional in normal mode log in, does that mean one has to restrict passwords to *only letters*, for example?

5. Claymore

Claymore

It was just a thought that occurred to me. Only way to test it is to try it, I guess.

6. Morwenna

Morwenna Thread Starter

I have tried what you suggested and set a password with just lowercase letters, normal mode won't take it, only safe mode takes the change.:confused:

7. Claymore

Claymore

There has to be a difference between Normal and Safe Mode, especially if you're logging in to Safe Mode using the Administrator account. Do you use different language setups for your keyboard? Could you check the keyboard language you're using in Normal Mode, please?
    Control Panel => Regional and Language Options => Language tab => Details button => Settings tab. What does it say for the keyboard you're using?

Also, open the Registry Editor (Start => Run and type in regedit)
    Navigate to this key:
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload
    Look in the right-hand pane for a string named 1 (and any others).
    What is the 8-digit number for the Data value?

8. mtriders

mtriders

How do I get computer OUT of Safe Mode start-up. After updating computer (via Windows update) in preparation for worm, it required a safe mode start-up. Of course it asked for a password, which there NEVER was one. Any help would be appreciated.

9. Claymore

Claymore

Sorry, could you start your own thread, please. Gets confusing. We'll answer then.
    Thanks

10. mtriders

mtriders

Figured it out...but thanks for the reply

11. Morwenna

Morwenna Thread Starter

The keyboard I'm using has these language settings:

Italiano (Italy)
    French (Switzerland)

I've noticed a few other errors in my computer apparently relating to boot.ini file. I suspect it may be damaged. Maybe that's what causes the glitch when I try to edit the password in normal mode?

In which case, do you know how I can repair it? I found lots of different procedures to repair it on the net but I don't know which ones to trust.

12. Claymore

Claymore

A few things to do:

Please answer this as already requested - it tells us which keyboard is used when the computer starts:
    Also, open the Registry Editor (Start => Run and type in regedit)
    Navigate to this key:
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload
    Look in the right-hand pane for a string named 1 (and any others).
    What is the 8-digit number for the Data value?

======================
    Of the two languages you have for your keyboard, which is the default - Italian or French?

======================
    Go to Start => Run and type in msconfig
    Under the general tab, are these two boxes checked?:
    Process SYSTEM.INI File
    Process WIN.INI File

=======================

Open Explorer and in Tools => Folder Options => View tab, check to 'Show hidden files and folders' and uncheck (clear) 'Hide protected operating system files'.
    Go to the root of the C: drive and open the file BOOT.INI in Notepad.
    Paste it here.

========================
    How is you system set up? One single operating system only, or a dual boot? Which drive and partition is the operating system on?

========================
    Thanks

13. danlan

danlan

I'm going to take a different approach if that's ok with Claymore (Great anime, btw).

Just a thought, I will assume that since you're running XP Home that the system is NOT part of a domain. I don't work with XP Home very much, but I'm sure that the mmc parts are there that I'm about to mention.

1. Click START -> Run Then type in compmgmt.msc
    2. (new window pops up)
    3. Click the plus sign by "local users and groups"
    4. Click On "Users"
    5. In the right hand pane, locate your login name. This might not be set if you accepted the factory setup, so it might say "valued user" or something like that. Or if might show your name.
    6. Double click on your user name
    7. Make sure that "User cannot change password" is NOT checked
    8. You might want to check "password never expires" here also

Next we might want to check the group policies and make sure that "hardened passwords" is not enabled.

1. Start -> Run type in gpedit.msc
    2. Computer Configuration -> Windows Setting (click on plus to open)
    3. Windows Settings -> Security Settings (click on plus to open)
    4. Security Settings -> Account Policies (click on plus to open)
    5. Under Account Policies click on Password Policy
    6. ON the right hand side, scroll down to "Password must meet complexity requirments" and make sure it is "Not Defined" or you could make it "Disabled"

Of course my advise might be way off base and your issue a totally different problem.

Best of luck.

14. Claymore

Claymore

Good one, Dan. I should have thought of that first. XP-Home doesn't have the Group Policy, but the first part of your suggestion should be the first thing that Morwenna checks.
    Thanks

15. Morwenna

Morwenna Thread Starter

@ Claymore

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload:

string 1 REG_SZ 00000410
    string 2 REG_SZ 00000409

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

default keyboard seems to be italian but I'm not sure, see attached screenshot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

system.ini and win.ini :
    appear to be checked even though what's ticked is the "normal process" (don't know how to best translate this). please see screeshot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have one single operating system on C drive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'll find the infos that Dan requested. will be back shortly.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/814347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice