1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows XP doesn't read flash drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xITmasterx, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xITmasterx

xITmasterx Thread Starter

I have tried to enter any flash drive into the PC, but Windows displayed it as RAW, with no memory, and responded whenever I open the flash drive with this "You need to format the disk in drive".

I have placed my flash drive in different slots, changed flash drives to check if it would work, and even use chkdsk to see if there is something wrong in my flash drive (even though it doesn't have a problem), which the results came out with the exact info I would see in my flash drive.

There must be something wrong in the PC or OS, can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Did you use the flash drive in another computer?

3. xITmasterx

Yeah, and it pretty much works, but when I stick my flash drive on my computer, it keeps getting that error.

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    you may want to try using another computer with W7 to see if you can get your files back and move them into your HDD in the computer while you format your USB drive in XP again.

5. kenbok51

kenbok51

There's always the possibility there is something wrong with the USB drivers or chipset of the motherboard. Have you looked in Device Manager to see if there are any warnings? It couldn't hurt to reinstall the USB drivers for the motherboard. It might just be you need to reinstall the chipset drivers for the board if the USB drivers are not separate.

You might also consider doing an sfc scannow on your PC to see if it finds any errors. Go to Start > All programs > Accessories and right click on the Command Prompt icon selecting "Run as Administrator" then in the command window type sfc /scannow noting there is a space between the sfc and the switch /scannow.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  7. xITmasterx

Plodr, it didn't work, somehow, it told me that there is an operation in the cycle, thus not allowing me to rename it.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You failed to answer my two questions.
    What size is the flash drive and how is it formatted?

9. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    My wife had this problem just a few days ago with her phone SD card. I tried everything possible to see if I could make it to work but without any success. The only way I could get her pictures back was by buying a recovery program to get her important photos, videos and audios from there. After finishing I then reformatted her SD card.

10. lynx1021

lynx1021

WHAT KIND OF FLASH DRIVE! USB stick, SD card, HD Card, USB 2 , USB 3, how was it formatted and size? I believe XP requires it to be FAT 32.

11. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    UPDATE: I just did a second test by using an SD card and used recuva and I was able to recover at least 96% of all pictures in the SD card. As previously mentioned in post #9 I was able to get all of her pictures before formatting them and then formatted her mini SD card. She then tried to put some pictures in the card but she was unable to see a few of them she had transferred there so I think her SD card might be damaged or corrupted in some form.

12. xITmasterx

Hello everyone, I just fixed the issue, though I might have created a bigger beast when I accidentally removed the plug while the OS is fixing that issue using chkdsk /r. That being said, I'll put it up in a separate forum, as for the issues regarding this, it is solved.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice