1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp doesn't see drives anymore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brandenm, Dec 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brandenm

brandenm Thread Starter

i'll give some specs of my computer first to get that out of the way,
    p4 3.2ghz
    asus p4p800e mainboard
    stripe raid (0) system hdd
    windows xp pro, sp1

i have windows installed on a raid 0 (2x raptor hdd) and have other hdd's and cd-roms on other ide or sata connections. this morning my computer would not boot up properly, an error message about winlogon.exe that had something to do with a "memory read fail". no matter what i clicked on the message box i'd get the blue screen of death, no matter how i started windows (safe mode, last good config, etc) i would always get the same winlogon.exe error and never be able to finish loading windows, therefore not be able to check the winlogon.exe file itself to try to see whats wrong. i don't know what may have caused this as it was working as fine a ever last night, and haven't installed/changed anything for a few days (even did a full virus scan 2 days earlier) and the problem suddenly came this morning when i started it. after some time i felt i had to resort to booting off my xp pro cd and try the repair option there, it worked and now windows works fine. but i can no longer see any of my extra hdd's or cd-roms. my bios is still unchanged and detects all the drives, but i did check it anyways, and i can still boot off cd (how i did the repair) or another hdd (if i had something on it), so i determined that the problem is with windows not seeing them. i checked disk management under computer management to see if they just need to be enabled again, they don't show up there at all. i checked the drivers for ide controllers etc, they are all up to date. windows simply does not accept that there are other hdd's and cd-roms hooked up at all. many important files and such are on the other drives and i also have no recognized cd-rom either now, just the c drive. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/307129