1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Driver Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by freegem, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. freegem

freegem Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7815 with Vista on it and I am planning to switch to XP soon. I have had driver issues in the past when installing XP on desktops (mostly involving internet connection), so I just wanted to get some advice before doing this. Here are the specs of my machine:

Motherboard - ATI Ant3.
    Chipset - AMD 780G
    South Bridge - AMD SB700
    Video - ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics
    CPU - AMD Athlon X2 QL-60 (Dual Core)
    Audio - Unknown (current driver listed under dxdiag is RTKVHDA.sys)

The following are listed under device manager:

Disk Drives - Toshiba MK1652GSX ATA Device
    DVD/CD-ROM Drives - Pioneer DVD-RW DVRTD08L ATA Device
    Modems - Standard Modem
    Toshiba Software Modem
    Network Adapters - Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter
    Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

I would just like to know what all drivers I need to find before moving to XP. I have never reformatted a laptop before so do I need to get any unique drivers such as the touch pad and all that stuff as well?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I would urge caution.
    Firstly I would have a close look at this link
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/276007-toshiba-sat-l355d-can-i-dwngrad-xp.html

Secondly I would go to the Toshiba site and check yourself WHICH XP drivers are available.
    You could have problems with Fn keys, touchpad etc.

I would create a complete IMAGE of the hard drive.
    Also remember that if it goes pear shaped you will not have the option of using the recovery partition to go back to XP.

Finally I would NOT even consider going back from Vista Home Premium which is what I think you have to XP.
    On a Vista system that is working properly I can see little, if any benefit.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to what you have listed there, the devices in your Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7815 appear to be:

ATI Radeon 3100 - graphics

Realtek High Definition Audio - audio

Atheros AR5007EG - wireless connection

Realtek RTL8102E - wired connection

There should be XP drivers for all of them. Have you checked the support and software site for that computer to see if they're available there?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

One roadblock that you may run into is the Toshiba MK1652GSX being a SATA model hard drive.

XP has been out for over 9 years and before SATA hard drives existed, so its CD doesn't have native support for SATA hard drives.

Unless there's a setting in the BIOS that you can change for the hard drive, you may need to go through the difficult process of obtaining the drivers for that hard drive and then slip-streaming them into the XP CD.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Update:

Here is the support and driver download site for that laptop.

Windows Vista has drivers for all of the devices in that laptop.

Windows XP does not have drivers listed for the graphics and audio devices.

That means you're going to need to locate them on the internet and hopefully find the ones that work, or hope that XP has drivers for them in its database.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. Macboatmaster

It appears from my research that the BIOS can be configured - from SATA to compatability mode.
    - acording to that link.
    If you explore that link I sent you, you wll also see a recommendation on post 3 to create a Toshiba drivers and software install disc - BEFORE removing Vista.
    I have not examined this matter further, but the poster on that link strongly recommended it.

6. freegem

freegem Thread Starter

Well it sounds like moving to XP is going to require more work than it's really worth so I will probably end up just keeping Vista, but I'm still going to reformat.

When I go to the link that flavallee posted I select "Windows Vista" in the drop down menu, but it only comes up with one result titled "Download Toshiba Drivers and Utilities for Windows 7". Are those drivers going to work with Vista? And does this single download contain all the drivers I will need?

I typically use a USB flash drive to store my drivers. Is there any reason I should use a CD instead?

I get my software through school and our program only offers Vista Business with SP1. This shouldn't really matter when it comes to installing windows and drivers should it? Currently I have Vista Home Premium.

7. Macboatmaster

No it does NOT - there is no chance that Flavallee would send you the WRONG details.
    You click the download tab, and the drivers are there. I presume you are clicking the support bulletins tab instead.

Not always the best idea -
    What problem do you actually have that you are trying to solve?

8. freegem

freegem Thread Starter

You are right, I was on the wrong tab.

The problem with the computer is just that the performance has drastically decreased over the past few months. Even browsing the internet has become slow, but the most noticeable change is when the computer is booting up. It appears to freeze on a black screen and it stays there for about 30-60 seconds before finally continuing to Windows. I have run antivirus and malware scans but it hasn't helped. I've turned off all the non-essential startup services and programs, but that hasn't made much of a difference either.

There are several drivers on the list that are very similar and I am not sure what the difference is. For example, "Atheros Wireless LAN Driver for Windows Vista" and "Atheros Wireless LAN Driver". I am just not sure exactly which drivers on this list will be needed.

9. Macboatmaster

You will I hope appreciate that I do not know your level of knowledge .
    Would you please examine this link, including all the links on the right, work your way through and report back.
    For instance have you checked -Start and peformance issues to see what Vista reports
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Optimize-Windows-Vista-for-better-performance

To check for performance issues

1. Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button [​IMG], clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Performance Information and Tools.
    2. Click Advanced tools.
    3. Under Performance issues, click any issues that are listed.
    4. Read the information in the dialog box that appears to learn which programs or drivers are causing problems.
    AFTER working your way through here INSTEAD of using Vista defrag.
    Download and run this please it is far more efficient than the Windows one.
    http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/#overview
    ONLY run the defrag please do NOT be tempted to install any of the registry cleaner etc offered.

10. Macboatmaster

After you have done that please do this

Please click HERE to download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you click the "Here" link that I provided in post #4, then click the "Downloads" tab, then click "Refine Search By: Windows Vista", the list of device drivers for Windows Vista will appear. I just rechecked the link and it works fine.

If you want to save the device drivers in a USB thumb drive, that's fine. You should also save them in a CD-R for 2 reasons:
    An additional backup source
    It doesn't tend to get lost or damaged as easily

-------------------------------------------------------------------

12. Macboatmaster

13. freegem

freegem Thread Starter

I attached a screen shot showing the performance issues.

(PC tune-up is a free trial thing from AVG Antivirus)

Attached Files:

14. freegem

freegem Thread Starter

Here I have attached the log from Hijack This scan.

Attached Files:

15. Macboatmaster

My first advice is to uninstall AVG. That AVG TuneUp -Boost speed has caused quite a few problems.
    It wouldbe incorrect of me to criticise the program, perhaps unfairly, but I do not like it and my opinion is shared by quite a number of people.
    Please see this to perhaps help convince you re AVG
    http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/976639-unable-install-avg-2011-free.html?highlight=avg
    As a start I recommend you install Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free, updated regularly and uses far less system resources than AVG.
    There are of course many other anti-virus programs such as Avast, Avira etc from which you can pick.
    If you wish to try MSE the link is here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Some people have experienced problems uninstalling AVG. DO NOT USE this first - use the program uninstall.
    http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

Re HP Digitial imaging monitor and ATT which is of course AT&T communications - please disable both on startup as per this link
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...indows-Vista-for-better-performance#section_2
    actually one of the sub links to the one I sent in post 9

ALSO could you please work your way through the rest of that Vista link, particularly in relation to other startup items
    Run this if you wish. It is from Malwarebytes and is reliable.
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite.php

After doing that please download the ausologics defrag in post 9 - analyse and defrag if necessary. I usually defrag at about 10%.

If after doing all this it is still painfully slow, we will start checking memory etc.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice