1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP, DVD ROM Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cavin_xs, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cavin_xs

cavin_xs Thread Starter

Hi,
    I Use Windows xp home. I have 2 Drives CD Rom and DVD Rom., Both were working normal. I reinstalled XP now it shows both drives as CD ROM in My Computer. My DVD Rom is not working. Its working as CD Rom but not Recognize DVD anymore. I Checked the Drivers Couldnt Update. Model is LG GDR8162B.
    Please Help

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

When you reinstalled XP, did you then immediately reinstall all the motherboard chipset drivers (nothing directly to do with the CD or DVD)?

The IDE bus drivers control the interface to the cd-DVD drives and Windows will only provide basic generic drivers in many cases. The motherboard chipset drivers (downloadable from the makers website if you do not have the CD) should be reinstalled immediately following Windows installation.

Using the Windows "update drivers" will not work, it will just give the most up to date "generic" ones.

3. cavin_xs

cavin_xs Thread Starter

Thanks Kiwiguy.
    i did install motherboard drivers. Its intel 865 Chipset. i'll try to re install drivers. will it be ok.
    thakns for help again

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice