1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Error Help!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mshuman1971, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mshuman1971

mshuman1971 Thread Starter

My roommate's McAfee expired so she installed Kaspersky Internet Security ver. 7.0 on her PC. Now the PC gives the following Error:

"Alert! OS Install Mode enabled. Amount of available memory limited to 256MB. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

When I press F1 Windows loads to the Windows User account screen. When I chose the User account that is the administrator for the computer the background picture loads and NOTHING else loads.

HELP!!!

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

did roommate uninstall mcafee before installing the new scanner?

3. mshuman1971

mshuman1971 Thread Starter

She said No. But I have gone in the registry and taken out any entries I have found of the new software thinking that the new software was the problem since it didn't start happening until after she installed it. The only way I can get into anything is by booting the pc in safe mode and going into the admin account. And even then it doesn't load anything I have to do a Crtl-Alt-Del to be able to get the task manager to come up and I have to start a new task.

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

in safe mode try "Last known good configuration" if that don't work then its a windows repair using the xp install disk when options are showing its "R" to repair windows directory

5. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice