1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Error Message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rsimoneau, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rsimoneau

rsimoneau Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ralph (UncleMarine)
    There are 2 things that just started to happen. 1. When booting up the welcome screen jumps immediately to the desk-top. Before I had to click on an icon, on the welcome screen, with my name on it, only then would the desk-top screen come up ??
    2. When shutting down the computer a box pops up APPLICATION ERROR: (The system cannot end the selected task because SHADOW is not allowing it to run. Press OK to end task SHADOW or press cancel to leave it running) ??
    I have no idea what this is all about.
    One additional thing last week in the "My Documents Folder" Word Perfect files, Word files, Excell files, and Lotus 123 files the text all turned blue with just a few exceptions that remained black.
    Thanks for the help
    Ralph

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you recently removed a user account from the machine? Normally if more than one account is enabled -- and you have the "welcome screen" enabled in Control Panel > User Accounts -- then you have to select which account to log into. If there is only 1 account -- then the login is automatic.

also run control userpasswords2 -- does it have checked "users must enter a user name and password ..."?

Just what task cannot be ended in that shutdown message?

Open eventvwr.msc and look at the applications log for related errors. If you see one, double click it and view the description. Copy the description to the clipboard by using the double-paper copy icon and paste it here.

Also post a Hijackthis scanlog:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

I don't know what's up with your document files unless you changed a setting there -- I'd suggest posting that as a separate topic in the Business Applications forum.

3. rsimoneau

rsimoneau Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ralph (UncleMarine)
    Thank you: Rollin' Rog
    A user account may have been removed ?? I have no idea what (control userpasswords2 is)
    About what task cannot be ended again I have no idea I just clicked on the box to turn off the computer and the Application Error box pops up.
    I will take your suggestion and post a question about the document file text turnning blue in the Buisness Appl. forum
    Ralph

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

control userpasswords2 is just an interface for configuring password usage. See if you have that setting enabled.

If there is only 1 user account on the system then you must BOTH have it checked there and I believe have use the welcome screen unchecked in User Accounts > "change the way users logon"

If you want to use the Welcome Screen -- then you must set a password for you account and enter it there. Be sure to create a password reset disk and save the file on a thumbdrive as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice