windows xp errors on start up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kezza900

hi, can anyone help?

When windows starts up, i am getting 2 grey error boxes come up, bit hard to understand what they mean as it says cannot find □□□□ please make sure you have typed the path correctly and try again, or delete the the path from the registry. I have tried running reg clean, and system mechanic proffessional, but the errors still appear, have also tried system resore, with no luck..
does anyone have any idea on how i can get rid of them? Thanks.
i have tried saving □ □ □ □ to notepad and it says is some other format.

kezza900

no no, just those boxes, i found something simlar in the character map, and i have edited my post. i basically need to know how to delete that from the registry, but how do i know what □ □ □ □ means?

Blink182

Banned
Hi Again ! :)

Sounds like something at startup.

WARNING:Editing the registry incorrectly could cause drastic effects on your machine which may require you to reinstall your Operating System. Edit the registry and your own risk! :cool:

1. Click Start > Run > Type Regedit
2. Locate to the following key:

HCKU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Remove any entries on the right that display " □ □ □ □ ".

3. If you could not find any, locate to this key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Remove any entries on the right that display " □ □ □ □ ".

Blink182

Banned
Sorry didnt know your experience with registry.

HCKU and HKLM are just abbrev for the following:

HKCU: Means HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKLM: Means HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

kezza900

I have done that, but there was nothing in the registry that matched the □ □ □ □ ".

any other ideas?

Blink182

Banned
ohh try this.

Windows XP
Right-click the "Start" button, and then click "Properties".

On the "Start Menu" tab, click "Classic Start menu", and then click "Customize". This changes the style of the Start menu.

Click "Remove".

Open the "Programs" folder and then open the "Startup" folder.

Highlight the items in the "Startup" folder that you want to remove and click the "Remove" button.

Click the "Close" button.

Click the "OK" button twice.

kezza900

have done that, but the errors still there. cant seem to find those boxes anywhere

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online