Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP: Ethernet port (and LAN) does not work..only wireless internet

4K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
When I plug an ethernet wire from a router to the ethernet port on my computer, nothing seems to happen. There is no LAN option under my "network connections" either. My first guess is that I don't have the correct driver installed (or if I have one at all for the ethernet). Can anyone help me? I tried to open up the computer to see the brand of the Ethernet card but Some of the screws were stuck and I couldn't seem to open it. It is a Laptop running Windows XP by the way. I bought it at cyberpowerpc.com. Thanks very much for any help.

#7 ·
In "network adapters" I have a Driver for the wireless internet. In "other devices" I am seeing a yellow question mark (and a smaller exclamation mark) for the "Ethernet Controller". It says it does not detect a driver or a name of the device/manufacturer.
Double-click Ethernet Controller to open its properties window, then click Details(tab).

Look for a string that has VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of the string.

Advise what the 4 characters are that follow VEN_ and DEV_.

That will help to identify that device so we can hopefully locate the driver for it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

#8 ·
My four characters are VEN_

Also, I tried out "Everest" which is a program to tell what kind of hardware you have. Here is what it says about my Ethernet Adapter-

Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

So I typed that in Google and downloaded this driver-

http://download.cnet.com/Realtek-RTL8168-8111-PCI-E-Gigabit-Ethernet-NIC/3000-2112_4-99235.html

I rebooted after installation. But under the "device manager" it still has that yellow question mark, even when I point it to the folder of the driver I just installed....

#13 ·
Here is the whole thing-

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_003114C0&REV_02\4&3905AE0C&0&00E3

So it looks like after VEN_ it is "10EC"

And after DEV_ it is "8168"
(From the PCIDatabase.com site)

Realtek Audio/LAN

Chip Number: RTL8168/8111/8111c

Chip Description: Gigabit Ethernet NIC(NDIS 6.0)

Notes: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=5&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTyp

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the driver download link: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Select one of the 3 site links at the top of the list - version 5.764.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

#16 ·
The Realtek site is notorious for not working properly. It linked to the proper location when I submitted it to you, but it doesn't now. I'll see if I can find the driver elsewhere.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Try here. It's the topmost entry - 5.764.

The file is in ZIP format, so you have to download and save it inside an empty folder on your desktop, then extract its contents into that folder, then double-click the SETUP.EXE file to install it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.