1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Event Log - Error 7023

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kingdog, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kingdog

kingdog Thread Starter

I've tried to clear the 7023 Error, but no success. Run/CMD fails to show any help.

I would appreciate any help.

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

whats the source? Is it Service Control Manager? and whats the error message?

3. kingdog

kingdog Thread Starter

Hi, below is the full MS Error message. I have found out that this Error is generated because I have the Windows XP Firewall disabled - this is because I'm using my Netgear Router Wirewall. MS has a 'Hotfix' for this problem but it costs £40 to get it??

Windows Operating System
    Event ID: 7023
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Version: 5.0
    Component: System Event Log
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_EXIT_FAILED
    Message: The %1 service terminated with the following error:
    %2

Ken

4. cgesicki

cgesicki

If you read this post, another person experienced the same error as you and their fix was:

Go to Start>Run type cmd
    >
    > and then, in the command prompt, type:
    >
    > netsh winsock reset
    >
    > and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-180153.php

5. cgesicki

cgesicki

Or try renabling Windows firewall thru the Services Manager temporarily, then go thru the Control Panel and turn the firewall off that way.

6. kingdog

kingdog Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply,

I checked out the other persons Post, however he did not have the same problem as I have. He could not Activate his Windows Firewall. I have the Firewall disabled by choice.

Today I enabled the Windows Firewall but still had the Event Error 7023 - I am at a loss as to what Error 7023 is all about. I will contact MS UK tomorrow by telephone to see if I can get the Hotfix.

Ken

7. cgesicki

cgesicki

You can also try this, go to your Services and set them all to manual then reboot. After u reboot check to see if u get the error. If no error appears check your services again and set those that started to automatic.

8. kingdog

kingdog Thread Starter

Just to go back to your last reply. I have 99 items in my Services Folder, of which 45 are Automatic. Is it OK to change the 45 items to Auto?

Ken

9. cgesicki

cgesicki

Did the error return? If not then the answer is Yes

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice