1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Xp- Failing To Start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Demon91, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Demon91

Demon91 Thread Starter

Hi All

Rencently my pc woudnt start, and i had the boot error- plz insert disc. I burrowed the discs off my mate, and put it in. What i want to do is get all my music and photos onto disc, but im having trouble with the command thing.

U got two options, 1 is Restore xp, and the other is Boot to command prompt from cd rom.

i just want a command to boot xp, i tried this dskchk, and it gives me a series of numbers.

Thanks

2. wparrish

wparrish

3. Demon91

Demon91 Thread Starter

Thanks, ill try that, but i cant actually run xp yet, get onto my account or anything, do u just put the cd in like the xp disk?

4. wparrish

wparrish

You'll have to download this and install it on a working system with a burner, at that point you'll need to use a cd burning program such as Nero or Roxio to burn the iso image to cd or dvd (your choice). This cd will allow you to boot to an OS from the disk and gives you many recovery options. If you have a USB harddrive you could plug in during this operation to copy your files to, you want to attach this prior to booting from your new CD so that ERD Commander will see it. Hope this helps

5. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

download a Linux Live CD with full NTFS read/write support (e.g. Knoppix - no shareware, no limitations!) and boot from this CD. this operating system offers USB support, so you can easily backup your data to any USB mass storage device (hard disk, flash drive, MM card, mp3 player, etc.)

in case the partition is lost or damaged, get TestDisk - It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again

6. systempunk

systempunk

When you boot; are you sure you dont have a floppy disk in your floppy drive?
    Or anything plugged in like a usb flash drive that could stop windows from booting.

or just get linux and stick with it...:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/630529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice